Malware Crush RRS feed

• Question

• Pop up from Internet Security Center, ran virus/malware scan, said to install file from them - Malware Crush, found possible threats and trojans. Do I install this?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 4:45 AM

Answers

• No. That popup indicates a potential spyware infection - the source of the popup enticing you to install their crapware.

Since you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:39 PM

All replies

• No. That popup indicates a potential spyware infection - the source of the popup enticing you to install their crapware.

Since you are not using Windows Live OneCare, you are off topic for this forum. This is not a general forum for viruses, spyware, or Windows Help. For help with spyware issues, you may want to try the forums here: 

http://aumha.net/ For help with virus removal, contact the maker of your Antivirus program.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 1:39 PM
  • we get here with this pop up *** and you wont, i repeat wont help. you say bad but say it doesnt have anything to do with this forum. It absolutely does have everything to do with being able to decide if live one is worth anything.

get the forum out of the search scheem if you do not want to simply say we can help here at live one.

BITE ME......ot help us instead of referrin g us.......mnaybe you couyld simply say that live on care software will help us rid our puters of this pop up......i have 2 and guess what.....they disquise them selves as being sugested by the programs installed on my puter,,,,,,,,,,and also guess what,,,,,live one is my only changes the day it arrived

Monday, April 7, 2008 5:10 AM
  • I guess you don't understand how Internet searches work. People post content to these forums (and others) and search engines index these posts.

I'm sorry that your PC was infected by the spyware. I can't tell you if OneCare will get rid of or prevent each variant of every piece of malware in existence - I'm not the one with an infected PC, so I have no experience with this malware. With OneCare running, and safe browsing practices, I have not had a PC infected in several years.

My answer above stands - this forum is for discussion of OneCare. If you are using OneCare and it can't remove an infection or doesn't prevent one, you can report this to Microsoft per the instructions here - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=662566&SiteID=2

You can also get support to get it removed if you are using OneCare.

Also, I have no clue what you mean by your last phrase - "live one is my only changes the day it arrived."

-steve

Monday, April 7, 2008 4:53 PM
  • Thank you for responding. I amsorry for all my typos, I am tired of searching for answers. McAfee caught 2 but the pop ups remain and may have nothing to do with what was caught. What I mean by changes to puter is that live on care is the only program or function that changed at the same time as the pop ups began. So what I had figured was they were the ones that were referring me to the site to buy the programs but I do not trust anything that does not specify who they are like the pop up do not say that the scan or program headers on the pop ups have no identifying companies or program names. I know this is confusing but still have to reply as I know I was rude.

The response to me was definately more informing and helpful than the original post you made. I do thank you.

I understand search engines well and that is how I arrived here combined with the fact that live one was the only corresponding change for the time period.

Thanks again. I will continue to search for the right firewalls and spy detectors and whatever I need to protect my new laptop. But I think live one care just might not be so user friendly as you do not seem to be so user friendly. Not being rude, just being honest.

Best wishes, Diana

PS. I have never trusted any thing that doesn't allow me to control or at least let me know what it is doing I have windows vista too and as new as it is perhaps this is my problem.

Monday, April 7, 2008 9:29 PM
  • You're welcome, Diana. I'm not sure that I've ever been referred to as not user friendly, but I suppose that my "boiler plate" answers are a little impersonal. You see, although this forum is hosted by Microsoft, the discussions are user to user. They aren't tech support and should not be a substitute for tech support. We moderators are volunteers. Granted, we do have some access to members of the OneCare team, but for the most part we are providing information on how to use Windows Live OneCare based on our own experiences and what we've learned here in the forums.

Spyware and malware infections are a miserable pain in the rear. Windows Live OneCare is not perfect and neither is any other protection. However, users of OneCare have access to technical support to get help in removing an infection that OneCare missed. While this forum may be helpful if someone posts a solution to remove an infection missed by OneCare, that doesn't improve OneCare, either. My response to posts about infections is pretty generic - seek help elsewhere if you are not using OneCare or contact Microsoft Windows Live OneCare technical support if you are. It may be harsh, but there are forums dedicated to removal of malware. The work required to manage that kind of a forum is beyond the scope of this one. And, for users of OneCare, reporting the missed malware to Microsoft and getting help from technical support is the appropriate response.

I'm concerned about one item you've mentioned twice. Your posts seem to indicate that you *are* using Windows Live OneCare and that you were when you initially encountered the infection. What is not clear is if you used other tools to attempt to clean the infection or if you are actually using other security programs at the same time as OneCare. If you are doing the latter, please be aware that having multiple security products active and running on the PC can actually be detrimental to security, in some cases, and it is almost always detrimental to system performance.

Good luck in your search for a solution if you choose not to continue using OneCare.

-steve

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:47 PM