none
Another "questions marked as answered when they are not" issue RRS feed

• Question

• I've read several threads about similar topics, but while some cases seem debatable, some are really annoying: 1) If someone posts a smart "question" like "Where's the support here? MS support sux." and, subsequently, marks this very post as an answer, it's an answer. That's pure nonsense and shouldn't be possible. 2) In the "Answers" forums, there are many cases where one support engineer marks a reply of a colleague as an answer, even if the "answer" is only very superficially related to the question. (That wouldn't be a special issue, if the support people weren't so fast. You can give a better answer, but too late - question is marked as answered already, and only a few people return to an "answered" post if they want to contribute anything. - At least, they could wait one or two days before giving their mutual regards.) Isn't there any way to control that?
    "192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:11 PM

Answers

• This forum really isn't a great place to bring up answer marking disputes. You should raise this in whatever forum you are seeing this so the moderators and others in that forum that are doing something wrong see and understand your complaints.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, November 5, 2010 5:01 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I respect your opinion. But your two examples are different from the issues I addressed.

EDIT: To clarify it, I didn't complain about posts marked as answers (by the OP or by a moderator) which remain "open" and "unanswered" to other posters. To a certain degree, that's unavoidable. My two points are avoidable. The OP's right to mark an answer to his question should not be abused (marking the question itself as an answer, followed by some rant). And the support engineers shouldn't give the impression of a police patrol which feels obliged to gather a certain amount of tickets before evening (improving the answered / unanswered ratio by force). That was all I wanted to say.

"192 GB ought to be enough for anybody." (from the miniseries "Next Generation's Jokes")

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 2:50 PM
  • This forum really isn't a great place to bring up answer marking disputes. You should raise this in whatever forum you are seeing this so the moderators and others in that forum that are doing something wrong see and understand your complaints.
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Friday, November 5, 2010 5:01 PM
    Answerer
  • >This forum really isn't a great place to bring up answer marking disputes.

Brett, while I agree that this forum isn't a great place to bring up specific answer marking disputes, it is surely a place for general principles.

One such principle - as quoted above - is that (MS) Moderators shouldn't be seen to be marking things as answers merely as a way of "improving the answered ratio". (quote from this thread). That appears to be something that is prevalent throughout the forums rather than in any single forum set. (I have a thread in another forum here about a MS Moderator marking as an answer a post from me when all it contained was a question as to which version of the software the OP was using)

That can only be fixed centrally by removing any need to have "good" forum statistics from the targets of MS Moderators. (If such targets exist - certainly when you see posts that are clearly not answers that are marked as answers by a MS Moderator, that is the automatic assumption.)

The other such principle, which is something which you - forum software - people could easily fix in the software, is that people should not be allowed to propose their own posts. Many do this out of misunderstanding of the reason for proposing an answer (beginners often think if they post a reply they should also propose it as an answer), while others do so in order to attempt to improve their own points score by making it easier for Moderators to select just their post for marking as an answer. In neither case is it appropriate.

There have been many (and long) threads here asking for you to remove the ability for a person to propose his/her own post from the software and you (meaning the forum software team) have never made such a change - which, surely is a simple matter of amending the code so that it checks if the proposer is also the poster and if so it rejects the proposal.

Again, this too is something that can only be done centrally and thus to my mind both are very valid points for a Forum Issues forum.

Mike Walsh

2010 Books: SPF 2010; SPS 2010; SPD 2010; InfoPath 2010; Workflow etc.
    2007 Books: WSS 3.0; MOSS 2007; SPD 2007; InfoPath 2007; PerformancePoint; SSRS; Workflow
    Both lists also include books in French; German; Spanish with even more languages in the 2007 list.
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 4:42 PM
  • @ Mike,

thank you. You're understanding what I wanted to say.

@ Bungho,

even if I don't agree with each assumption you make, I must say your last two links are very irritating for me. Why would someone mainly contribute to the forums with "proposing answers" from others? I only see two explanations - here we may differ again -: 1st, conspiracy (factions supporting each other) - not so convincing. 2d, an attempt to make the forums ridiculous - sounds more feasible to me. But again, some abuse of forums can't be avoided if you don't apply a very strict supervision/moderation which would certainly be declared "censorship" by you. So, let's concentrate on the issues users have and less on those "meta" (2d level) arguments.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:17 PM
  • Ok, you have a point. Now tell us what you think about what can be done to minimize those - admittedly strange - behaviors. I'm afraid your only way to control that is to install some uber-moderator authority controlling and judging the moderators. I wouldn't be happy with that. I'm confident that wrong advices or "answer proposals" will be exposed in the very threads they appear, we don't need more "administration" efforts.
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:36 AM
  • Hi Nemesis, I hear you calling. Don't think I didn't follow this thread even if the course it took is not exactly what I wanted. Let's wait until tomorrow, I don't want to give a precipitated answer.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:06 AM
  • Ok, oh Banned One, here are my opinions:

1) You're right, there seems to be some favoritism in the forums. What people think when they spend their time mostly in proposing the posts of certain individuals (their favorites) as answers, is beyond me. Why not simply ignore that? The only persons which should feel uneasy with this juvenile behavior, are the "favorites" themselves. What's the point of gathering reputation by all means, even not so bright ones - a title? To be called "MVP", "MCC" (new) or "Knight of the Open Window" when the time has come? Oh dear! An old proverb says: Don't care who says it, listen what he has to say. Very wise.

2) Censorship... The sad aspect is, the more you insist on "freedom of speech" instead of talking about "real" questions (by users needing some assistance), the more you will experience some kind of "censorship". It's really not important whether some moderator will react to reset a thread to its actual subject, or because he's bugged by continuous interventions, feels a personal offense or can't suppress his "craving for power". Who shall decide that, and why? What do you - and the community - gain by digging out examples of strange behavior one day after another (some rudeness, some shortness, some cameraderie)? Booooring. I've seen deleted some of my own posts as well, sometimes with reason, sometimes with less reason - I really don't care much about that. Why should you?

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 12:40 PM