Moving Dell Hard Drive to New PC RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to migrate my wife's system drive to an old pc of mine that is significantly faster than her old Dell. On boot up I get a message that I must activate. It said the key was invalid. I chose phone because the wireless card is not registered with her system. Her product key (from the holographic label on the case) is a mix of letters and numbers which the form won't accept. Can you advise me how to resolve this problem.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 10:47 PM

Answers

• Hello cameraman51,

It appears that you are moving an installation of XP that was originally provided by Dell on a Dell computer to another computer.

This is violation of the End User Licensing Agreement for OEM licenses for Windows XP.  OEM licenses do NOT permit moving the installation of Windows XP from the computer onto which it was first installed to any other computer.  You can read the EULA by clicking Start>Run then type winver and click OK, then in the resulting window, click the link to view the license terms.

This is why you were required to activate when starting up XP after moving it to the other computer, and why activation did not work for you.

In order to run Windows XP on your old computer, it will need its own license for Windows XP, since you are not permitted to use the one on the old Dell.

Some distributions of Linux are optimized for running on less powerful hardware, so another option would be to choose one of those to install on your old computer rather than installing a nongenuine copy of Windows.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:36 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:28 PM

All replies

• Hello Camera Man

Thank you for visiting us.  We understand the frustration you are currently experiencing. Please run the MGA Diagnostic Tool and provide us with the results. The steps are below:  

Step 1 is to run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.     What edition/version of Windows XP is currently installed or is it another version of Windows?

·        Home

·        Media Center

·        Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hello cameraman51,

It appears that you are moving an installation of XP that was originally provided by Dell on a Dell computer to another computer.

This is violation of the End User Licensing Agreement for OEM licenses for Windows XP.  OEM licenses do NOT permit moving the installation of Windows XP from the computer onto which it was first installed to any other computer.  You can read the EULA by clicking Start>Run then type winver and click OK, then in the resulting window, click the link to view the license terms.

This is why you were required to activate when starting up XP after moving it to the other computer, and why activation did not work for you.

In order to run Windows XP on your old computer, it will need its own license for Windows XP, since you are not permitted to use the one on the old Dell.

Some distributions of Linux are optimized for running on less powerful hardware, so another option would be to choose one of those to install on your old computer rather than installing a nongenuine copy of Windows.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 4:36 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 6:28 PM