none
I reset my computer back to original settings. I thought I had saved on my external hard drive. After I returned computer to original settings and plugged in my external hard drive, I discovered that Money 2004 didn't save. Is it still on the computer RRS feed

• Question

• 

I reset my cimputer back to original settings.  I thought I had saved Microsoft Money 2004 on my external hard drive, but discovered after this procedure that the program didn't save on the external hard drive.  Would the program still be on the computer internal hard drive, and if it is how can I extract it?  

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 4:00 AM

All replies

• Make sure you have your *.mny file and *.mbf files. Copy them to your Documents folder.

Then install Money on the computer. You can use a Money 2004 disk that says "Money 2004". If you don't have such a disk, download the install file appropriate to your country and use that. See what is currently the second post in the forum for the downloads.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 5:04 AM
  • If your data file was in the Money default C:\Program Files (x86) area your backup file would probably not back it up. Most Windows backup programs now save only files in  your C:\Users\<username> area by default.

Depending on exactly how you Reset your system, and how much free disk space there was, there might be a C:\Windows.old directory which would include the Money data file.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:13 AM