Is a recovery downgrade possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to recover a pc that currently has a 2x500 raid 0 configuration to a single 250g drive? There is less than 100g on the 2x500 drives.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 12:34 AM

Answers

• Is it possible to recover a pc that currently has a 2x500 raid 0 configuration to a single 250g drive? There is less than 100g on the 2x500 drives.
    I assume this is a Bare Metal Restore question in regards to WHS.  :)

Generally no.  Typically you need to restore to a hard drive of at least equal capacity (in your case, 1 TB since you combined your 2 drives into 1 bigger drive).  While there are instances of being able to recover to a drive that does have slightly less capacity than the original, I don't think you'll be able to restore to a hard drive that is 75% less than your original capacity drive.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:14 AM

All replies

I assume this is a Bare Metal Restore question in regards to WHS.  :)

Generally no.  Typically you need to restore to a hard drive of at least equal capacity (in your case, 1 TB since you combined your 2 drives into 1 bigger drive).  While there are instances of being able to recover to a drive that does have slightly less capacity than the original, I don't think you'll be able to restore to a hard drive that is 75% less than your original capacity drive.

Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:14 AM
  • One option it to use a partition manager such as gparted, acronis or whatever you fancy that can resize NTFS partitions.  You can then resize the partition down to less than 250GB - though once you do this you might as well just use the same tool to copy and shrink the data stored on the array to the 250GB Drive.

--
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:27 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. This was my first attempt at a "recovery". I just assumed that as long as the data would fit, I could use any drive. Now I know.
    I'll have to check into the partition managers listed above.
    I'm actually going to give the pc to my wife for her typing job, and was going to go ahead and remove the array before I made the transfer to her. In the end, I guess all I really need is a transfer method from a xp (with a PATA drive) to another xp pc with SATA drive. Since she uses her computer for her job, I need down time to be at a minimum. Does xp's (home) files and settings transfer work good?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:00 PM