none
Yahoo Vs. Google RRS feed

• Question

• These two Giants have been in the Software Industry for decades and shown what it takes to stand when wind is flowing against you.

There are two things probably which can be done

First, Flow with the wind- simplest and easiest-------------eg. Microsoft and Hotmail

Second, Move against the wind - Needs Courage   ------eg. Mac OS and MS Windows

These two firms i feel showed the third way

Flow in the direction but faster than the wind so eventually wind will be behind you------Yahoo and Google

Hats off to them

Whats your say??

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:18 PM

Answers

• Simply Google is the BEST
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:52 PM
  • Yahoo is the largest and the most used web portal in the Internet

It is true that Google has four times more revenue than Yahoo but you have to also take into account that Google has sucessful programmes like Adsense etc, plus it has YouTube Blogspot or Blogger and Orkut which are also very popular in the net.

Yahoo has recently come up with a networking avatar known as Mash.

Google is the largest and the most widely used search engine with about 55% share but remember Yahoo has about 35% share and is in the second spot.

Yahoo is the most widely used email and Google's Gmail is just 1/10 of Yahoo Mail

SO A clear winner does not exist.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:26 PM

All replies

• Its not about comparing any of them but jst showing some light on how they Grew.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:20 PM
  •  

yahoo earnings are not even one-fourth compared to google's ....google is really way ahead....
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 10:59 AM
  • Thursday, September 20, 2007 11:34 AM
  • Simply Google is the BEST
    Thursday, September 20, 2007 7:52 PM

• THIS  IS NOT BEST AND BETTER
     I AGREE GOOGLE IS GOOD

BUT YAHOO IS DOING THEIR BEST IT SEEMS THEY ARE IN THE MAIL MARKET FOR YEARS AND THEY HAD BEEN USING ALL MICROSOFT FEATURES FOR THE YEARS LIKE THEY ARE THE FIRST TO SET WEB 2.O TECH AND YET SUCCESSFULLY RUNNING . MESSENGER THEY ARE AT THE BEST TILL NOW EVEN THEY ARE THE FIRST TRYING TO ADOPT AND UTILIZE THE WPF VISTA FEATURE IN THIER MESSENGER , ALSO MESSAGES FREE FOR FIRST TIME

Monday, September 24, 2007 6:36 AM
  • ya your rite....exactly..the samething happening in the tech world now....

Monday, September 24, 2007 7:00 AM
  • Yahoo is the largest and the most used web portal in the Internet

It is true that Google has four times more revenue than Yahoo but you have to also take into account that Google has sucessful programmes like Adsense etc, plus it has YouTube Blogspot or Blogger and Orkut which are also very popular in the net.

Yahoo has recently come up with a networking avatar known as Mash.

Google is the largest and the most widely used search engine with about 55% share but remember Yahoo has about 35% share and is in the second spot.

Yahoo is the most widely used email and Google's Gmail is just 1/10 of Yahoo Mail

SO A clear winner does not exist.
    Monday, September 24, 2007 1:26 PM
  • Google Earns morre than Yahoo ...

Google is best in search , Online Earning ..than yahoo

Yahoo beats Google in Mail and messenger ...

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 11:41 AM
  • i hope that google is the best,,,google comes with many many more new and latest  technologies...google's products are more useful to the public more than yahoo....
    Wednesday, September 26, 2007 3:59 PM
  • I like the services offered by Google...the r simply superb...for instance Gmail and Gtalk....
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 5:36 PM
  •  

Whatever has happened is history. It was just the right beggning these companies had.But now is the real challenge,one who survives the open sourse era will last forever..
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 7:32 PM

• First, Flow with the wind- simplest and easiest - Microsoft and Hotmail
    Second, Move against the wind - Needs Courage - Mac OS and MS Windows

Flow in the direction but faster than the wind so eventually wind will be behind you - Yahoo and Google

Smile
    Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:18 PM
  • Googe > Yahoo. Period.

Yahoo is simply trying to encroach into many fields with no innovations whatsoever. I thought they would've learned by now : Quality > Quantity but apparently not. Now Yahoo is desperately trying to cut down costs by shutting down some of their useless services (eg:- Yahoo Podcast).

Google is playing the game much more smartly. Clearly Google wants to dominate the web but they are doing it slowly and nicely. All of their services speaks Power in Simplicity which in essence is the root of their success. Now they are moving into the Mobile market. They simply cannot fail, they know exactly what they are doing.

Sunday, September 30, 2007 9:30 AM
  • @ jaya

Well friend i dont oppose you, but would just remind you Yahoo mail , Yahoo messenger have best in the business for quite a long time

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:46 AM
  • @ Rahul

Well i do agree with you , but what to say if yahoo comes out with an exciting alternative of Orkut,

I feel Just Orkut has given Google the much needed Stardom, earlier We just imagined Google for searches,

Allthough Google Earth was there but it isnt as popular for its use as its counterparts are.

Tuesday, October 2, 2007 9:52 AM
  • Yes buddy ur r rite but as google consume less internet usage so that it is fast & frequently used

i tell u it is simply the best to get exact results u like

like PDFs  DOCs PPTs

Thursday, October 4, 2007 8:57 AM
  •  

GOOGLE has the lot of links like gmail,orkut,adsense,maps,earth etc.. so my best choice s GOOGLE
    Friday, October 5, 2007 5:12 AM
  • yahoo is the best

Friday, October 5, 2007 6:27 AM
  • Having a strong reason for every belief
     is  better thing to have
     than just having pre conception,

I would jst recommend everyone to back up their likes and dislike , with enough reasons.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 12:49 PM
  • I think both are giants in the software industry but in my opinion GOOGLE is one which is ahead....they are much ahead from them as they do thins nicely and before them all.

Friday, October 12, 2007 8:29 PM
  • Well i would love to how are they NICER,

I find Yahoo msnger as lot better than Google talk

NICER too,

Orkut is good but its response is slow as one has to reload the page to view the new scraps once they are posted,
    Is it NICER?,

It really good that Google is best but

Is it a good idea to make smthing better than the other without proper comparison?.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007 2:27 PM

• hi wen v r comparing 2 yahoo vs google means ill tel google is the best n the google is the next 2 the microsoft k...
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 6:25 AM

• Who is winning...???

Google or Yahoo...
    Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:10 AM
  •  

Its not the matter of winner as their is no clear battle , they are moving on with their own pace,

And we are no one to decide the winner , we are their clients but we have became their Addicts.

What we can do is just sit and watch who has been more successful in his attempts,

thats why started this thread to know in your opinion who has been more successfull.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 11:32 AM
  • Great..
    Friday, October 19, 2007 9:40 AM
  •  

hye, Jay_Pavagadhi

I would love to know what is GREAT ??????

Friday, October 19, 2007 11:24 AM
  • I agree that Yahoo messenger and Yahoo Mail are very good product from Yahoo!

But you can't ignore with the great speed Gmail took a great market share in Email and Yahoo had to copy the Google's formulae of including Chat in email.

Also as Orkut is the most popular social networking site in India Google Talk has far more online users than yahoo Messenger
    Friday, October 19, 2007 1:31 PM
  • Well friend its really nice but can i back this statement

" Google Talk has far more online users than yahoo Messenger "

with some fatcs bcoz we simply cant state anything simply on the basis of intuition.
    I would definitely be thankfull for the facts.

Next is providing chat in email, well thats really coolest feature provided by gmail, but Although the idea originated from google, they dint prevented it from being copied ,

Because smthing should Unique should b maintained as unique otherwise it loses its importance,

Dont you agree, At present moment there is no difference between Yahoo Mail and Gmail
    Where as Yahoo messenger is far more superior than Gtalk due to numerous features.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 7:50 AM
  • Google has recently started a service which allows users to develop their own gadgets for some social networking websites including orkut and myspace.The service is named "opensocial"

check this link

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/

Recently Yahoo added a similar feature or you can call coping the concept known as kickstart

http://kickstart.yahoo.com/

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 8:28 PM
  • GOOGLE is the best but now YAHOO also plans to start sme social networking group and some others plan for competing with GOOGLE

Monday, November 12, 2007 7:57 PM
  • In past yahoo was the best but looking into last few years i think that google is much better..

Yahoo was the shining star of the internet bubble in 2000, just before the dot-com crash, and has managed to keep a huge customer. Yahoo! customers are loyal apparently, even though Google has trounced Yahoo! in recent years in terms of search popularity and overall brand awareness.

Google has shined incredibly bright in the past two-and-a-half years.

Google's homepage is a model of simplicity.

In addition Google's ad program was designed to give customers   the most relevant advertising messages as well.

Google has gone on to become a huge internet brand with a revenue stream that puts Yahoo! to shame.

And, it was all built on giving customers the most relevant information possible.

Apparently, global customers responded in a big way, and Google has expanded its product offerings to match many of those from competitors Yahoo! (web-based e-mail) and Microsoft (online word processing and spreadsheets).

Yahoo! wins in terms of getting customers to its network. But in terms of monetizing the audience in the most profitable way, Google wins big.

Sunday, November 18, 2007 2:22 PM
  •  Sanjeev _Kumar_0587e7 wrote:

These two Giants have been in the Software Industry for decades and shown what it takes to stand when wind is flowing against you.

There are two things probably which can be done

First, Flow with the wind- simplest and easiest-------------eg. Microsoft and Hotmail

Second, Move against the wind - Needs Courage   ------eg. Mac OS and MS Windows

These two firms i feel showed the third way

Flow in the direction but faster than the wind so eventually wind will be behind you------Yahoo and Google

Hats off to them

Whats your say??

yes they are the two big giants with their future aims...........................

yes always be faster with accuracy & highest control....................

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 8:58 AM
  • I like google rather than yahoo

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:39 PM
  • EAST OR WEST Google is BEST
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:53 PM
  • G@urav.

ya..i 2 agree wid u.

although dey give tough competition 2 each other..

yet GOOGLE Is way ahead.

As "Orkut", "Gtalk" & "Gmail" has left behind d yahoo messenger & mail...

it hs left dem behind an era..

Friday, January 4, 2008 12:42 PM
  •  

Google providing the Gmail when compare to the yahoo its features are very excellent even google talk also advantage over tha yahoo....

the great ORKUT s the platform of GOOGLE only so the GOOGLE s the best when compare the yahoo...

Saturday, January 5, 2008 11:46 AM
  • Actually You guys think of Microsoft.

Microsoft has wide range of competitors.

lets have a look at them

OS - Microsoft Windows , Linux

Databases - SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2

Server - Microsoft Windows Server Editions, Redhat

Application Development - Microsoft .Net, J2EE, JAVA

Despite of their high competitors Microsoft rocks with the cool things like Surface Computing , Photosynth and etc

So

in my point of view

East or West, Microsoft is the best

Thank You
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 8:43 AM
  •  

I dont understand why people like gtalk .... [I just want to know the logic] Very limited options on gtalk. Yahoo messenger is full of various options neatly placed.

Gmail is good as it is simple to use. Yahoo mail is good becoz it has loads of features - such as personalised email view, My Yahoo etc.

Google search is good .... And it gave google a good name.  and it used the policy of invitations to get publicity for gmail.It became a prestige issue to get a gmail account. It was one of the first to give huge space on emails free of cost. people felt great when they used gmail. It is a great piece of simple design I agree but that is not what has made gmail successful so soon. It was large space and prestige marketing that made gmail famous. people who say yahoo should have done something innovative at that time were right. Yahoo missed the bus.

Orkut was a big flop and the service was highly unstable. since it was google which backed it up it bacame famous. even now there are not any good features in it. The ads i get on my own home page on orkut are meaningless. You cannot have a nickname and a first name and last name seperately. Easily breakable javascript. there are tons of fake profiles on orkut which post dirty stuff on communities even like Microsoft/Google/Yahoo/I love my family/ and moderators do nothing. The abuse  report link says if it gets sufficient reports it would ban the user. I got 500 complaints registered through my network against a user posting illicit posts and the profile still holds.

Honestly ... Just because ones college friends is on that network one should not use it. How do u even think it is "cool".

I use google search and gmail a lot. I cannot use gtalk because it does not give me good conference capabilities. For voice chats i believe skype is good .. file transfers y messenger or gmail is good.  

The above is just my opinion. No pun intended.

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:40 AM
  • Yes you are very right in pointing out that the search engine of Google is beyond compare and no other search engine is even comparable to it.Gmail has revolutionised mail to me and you can clearly see that AOL,YAHOO,REDIFF have all COPIED their concept of CHAT in MAILBOX which was initially available only in GMail.

I don't know how many of you use Google Calendar which is also a very good utility apart from the ever popular Google Toolbar.

As per your option about Orkut I would say that : -
    • it was the one that brought Social Networking to India
    • It dumped our ever popular mode of Mailing inbox to get connected to people
    • It is one of the reasons that you will find more of your friends on GTalk than Yahoo Messenger.
    • It has lesser spams than inbox of your Yahoo Mail.
    • About 1000 times less fake profile than you find on Yahoo Chatrooms.
    • Each and every friend connected and you have greater probablity of an instant reply than any other connecting device other than your mobile phone.
    • Everything saved to a single environment like Photos,Videos,Blogs,Messages and Communities.
    • It is the reason many other indian social networking sites exists like ibibo,bigadda etc....

Friday, April 11, 2008 4:19 PM
  • True that Orkut has brought the Social Networking to India.

My friends tell me Gtalk is cool. I ask them why and the only answer they give me is the UI is good.

I get a lot of spam on orkut too. Less compared to yahoo mail.

If you visit yahoo chat rooms now you wont find any fake profiles. There is a new confirmation system in place[ I am using yahoo beta].

Orkut for ages was very buggy. No doughnut error was extremely irritating.

I get more "send to all" scraps messages which are not intended to tell me a hi but to increase ones scrap count.

Viruses on Orkut can compromise any browser. Javascript injection is the most lethal attack. You can unlock anyones profile, pics, videos.

I believe only scraps are what brings a user back to the site. I donot see more than 100 photos on anyones profile. The service is improving because it has no serious competition it is still in use.

I donot deny I use orkut. i m a social animal too. but i look at a few communities and check my scraps and leave. I get disappointed everytime when I want to search something or do something which is quite obvious and should be available and is not alawys there.

Another service of google I should mention which is good is google reader. I am using it from its inception and I think that its simplicity is what attracts me.[ The basic funtions I need it to do it does it without much cluttering.]

I believe orkut is not a great technology .. it was new concept in india. and so it clicked. In terms of quality of software and service it does not match any of the standards that google has set.

With resepct to Yahoo .... they tried yahoo 360 and pipes. Both superb concepts but did not click much. I suggest you all must try pipes. It was the first major mashup service provided by anyone[among yahoo google and micosoft]. Yahoo stopped innovating after a certain point. but its quaity of service is still very strong. I love y mail classic. I use it as frewuently as new yahoo mail and the gmail.

Friday, April 11, 2008 7:01 PM