Hi! Just reformatted my computer. Now having validation issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there! My computer was built by a former acquaintance of mine a few years ago. I purchased the parts and programs for the computer. I had to recently reformat because of various programs that couldn't be uninstalled without a disk. Programs (various video game types, I think) I don't even recall installing myself. Defragmentation did not seem to be curing the sudden slowdown in the way the computer ran. Anyway, I used the same key and disc that was given to me by the person that helped me build my computer, now it is saying my copy is not valid. I do not understand why it would tell me that now after reformat. Thank you for all your help! Here is the copy of the MGA Diagnostic. Any further information needed I would be glad to supply.

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0012.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Detailed Status: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HDRHM-CBT6C-YM7FG
    Windows Product Key Hash: V9ka9bzIfr6XSAht5DrBYJeAt4w=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-646-8525503-23750
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: 48963aa3-f874-4f59-966c-c022b0b11bab
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial:
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.5
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: Failed to retrieve file version. - 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-3178-80070002_B4D0AA8B-469-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>48963aa3-f874-4f59-966c-c022b0b11bab</UGUID><Version>1.7.0012.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-YM7FG</PKey><PID>55274-646-8525503-23750</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1957994488-1343024091-96107571</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>NVIDIA</Manufacturer><Model>AWRDACPI</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS/><HWID>48373C9F0184A06B</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 2:26 PM

Answers

• The last 3 groupings of characters are indeed the same on both the CoA and the the ones listed here on the diagnosis. The CD matches one of the listed counterfeits though. It has the keyboard in the backround. Does this mean I have counterfeited software? What should I do? My computer was running just fine until I reformatted?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:21 PM

All replies

• Kristina,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 8), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for XP are Upgrade Licenses ONLY and can never be used as the original license on a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Look on the computer or in the materials that came with your computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another edition of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:02 PM
  • 1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or another edition of Windows?

Windows XP Professional

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

No

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

HPQ

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:17 PM
  • Kristina,

I am surprised to see that you posted informaton that would be consistent with an HP computer.

However, the report is showing that the motherboard installed in this computer is NOT imprinted with the BIOS data of an HP computer.  Please understand that OEM licenses for XP Pro from HP are only valid on an HP computer.  As you originally posted this computer was built by a former acquaintance, not HP.

Can you provide any more details about the origin of the CoA for XP Pro from HP?

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:27 PM
  • The CoA was given to me by my acquaintance. He handed me this disc with a Windows XP Professional affixed logo and a 3x5 card with this CoA stuck to it saying that this belongs with the disc and if I ever needed to reformat I would have to put in this key. I do not know anything about an HP Computer. I understood the parts were all customary to my liking in the type of computer I wanted.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:44 PM
  • Kristina,

OK, I understand more of what is happening.

The installed Product Key shown by the mgadiag utility is *****-*****-HDRHM-CBT6C-YM7FG.  Can you tell us if the last three groupings of characters, HDRHM-CBT6C-YM7FG, is the same as the last three grouping of characters on the CoA?

Please have a close look at the CD and CoA that you have, then compare them to the counterfeit samples shown at this link http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/counterfeit.mspx.  Compare your media (the CDROM) to the known counterfeits, and compare the CoA you have to the counterfeit examples.

Does the CD or the CoA look suspicious?

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 4:17 PM
  • The last 3 groupings of characters are indeed the same on both the CoA and the the ones listed here on the diagnosis. The CD matches one of the listed counterfeits though. It has the keyboard in the backround. Does this mean I have counterfeited software? What should I do? My computer was running just fine until I reformatted?
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 5:21 PM
  • Kristina,

Thank you for your perseverance in answering my questions!

From the information you have posted so far, it looks like you have been victimized by a combination of a "stand-alone CoA" which itself is a counterfeit and a counterfeit XP CD.  If you look at the last paragraph on this page http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx you will see an explanation of what a stand-alone CoA is.  The CoA says it is for XP Home but it has a Volume Licensing Product Key for XP Pro printed on it, something that a genuine CoA would never have.  The counterfeit CD says it is XP Pro, and technically it is but it is XP Pro Volume Licensing edition.

Microsoft has a program that replaces hi-quality counterfeit CDs of software with complimentary replacements if the counterfeits are considered "hi-quality."  The CD you said looks a whole lot like the one you have is in the "mid-quality" counterfeit category and based on that classification, one would expect that it would be rejected if you submitted a counterfeit report.

However, they can only say "No" so if I were you I would file a counterfeit report anyway and keep your fingers crossed, who knows you might get lucky!  Click the WGA Star icon in your system tray, and follow the prompts for submitting a counterfeit report.

If you don't want to bother with submitting the report, you can purchase a genuine copy of XP from a trusted local or online retailer, or you can get a genuine copy of XP Pro by choosing the prompts to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer by ordering a WGA Kit.  The WGA Kit consists of an email delivered Product Key for you to use in "genuine-izing" your installation of XP Pro, and a follow-up shipment of a genuine Microsoft XP Pro full retail CDROM which you should use to do a clean installation of XP, after backing up your data.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Ok, I submitted a piracy report. Thank you so much for your time and patience in helping me with this matter, Dan!
    Wednesday, May 9, 2007 1:43 PM
  • Kristina,

You're welcome!

If you can, please post the reply to your piracy report.  I have been told that it can take up to 30 days fro Microsoft to get back to you regarding whether your submission is a hi-quality counterfeit or not.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 3:37 PM