WHS 2011 Missing DE - what am I missing? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Let's be honest...How many people actually using WHSv1 are actually a typical consumer?  I doubt a single person reading these threads would be considered a typical consumer.  Did I like DE, yes.  Did I like the proprietary nature of DE, no.  I do find WHS2011 much more responsive, and the installation was one of the most simple installs of an OS I can recall!

This may have been touted as being for the average consumer, but unlikely those people ever bought a copy.

So, since we are not typical consumers, why not turn on the DFS role, make a DFSROOT, and what I did was mount a 2TB drive, and shared it as MY MOVIES 1, added it to the DFS, added a 1.5 TB drive, shared it as MY MOVIES 2, etc, etc.  No drive letters need be assigned, I shared into an empty NTFS folder, no letters assigned.

While I will miss the neat pie chart of disk stogage allocation, I think this can work.  Now, if they turned WHS2011 into an OS that can be a tuner farm, and serve tuners to a google tv replacement, that would be awesome.  For those who like WHS 2011, but miss DE, this might work for you as well.  It will only allow 1 DFS folder , unless you use a full server OS like Server 2008 R2 with a DFS role.

Sunday, February 13, 2011 4:14 PM

All replies

• Let's be honest...How many people actually using WHSv1 are actually a typical consumer?  I doubt a single person reading these threads would be considered a typical consumer.

=======
    You would be surprised at how many 'Technical Beta Testers' were chosen for the exact reason that they are "actually a typical consumer".

Microsoft would be remiss if they only chose those who are deep into technology for testing product. Why do you think almost all new betas are now open to the public? It takes very little to be able to sign up on Connect these days and file bugs.

Nancy Ward
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:35 PM