Unable to backup Vista Ultimate PC for months now RRS feed

• Question

• My home network has the following servers.
    1. Windows home server
    2. 1 Laptop with XP SP3
    3. 1 Laptop with Vista Ultimate
    4. 1 PC with Vista Ultimate

A few months ago the backups on my Vista Ultimate PC stopped failing.
    The error message was:
    The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup.
    I did run chkdsk /f /r on reboot but it hasn't helped.

Eventlog has the following error:

Backup set 53 on STELLARHOMESRV failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.Wait(IVssAsync va)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

I have tried looking for a fix for this for hours. My volume shadow copy service was setup to run manually.
    I have tried running it manually and tried to take manual backup but it still does not work.

I have to start thinking about another solution. If I cannot fix this issue I will have to start using NAS and another software to take backups.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to fix this issue.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

•  Rajinder Singh wrote:
    My home network has the following servers.
    1. Windows home server
    2. 1 Laptop with XP SP3

The error message was:

Backup set 53 on STELLARHOMESRV failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: VSS Operation timed out ---> System.TimeoutException: VSS Operation timed out

I have tried looking for a fix for this for hours. My volume shadow copy service was setup to run manually.
    I have tried running it manually and tried to take manual backup but it still does not work.

I have to start thinking about another solution. If I cannot fix this issue I will have to start using NAS and another software to take backups.

Is the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service set to disabled?  If so, that should be on manual as well.

Also, it's possible the dlls aren't registered anymore.  Check brubber's answer in Backup problem Unable to create disk snapshot try running chkdsk /f/r for another possible fix.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:47 PM

• I backup problem is fixed so I am sharing the solution with you.
    My PC had 2 drives. It also had a backup or recovery drive.
    After I removed the recovery drive from the list of drives that needed to be backed up I was able to backup my PC.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:51 PM

All replies

•  Rajinder Singh wrote:
    My home network has the following servers.
    1. Windows home server
    2. 1 Laptop with XP SP3

The error message was:

Is the Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider service set to disabled?  If so, that should be on manual as well.

Also, it's possible the dlls aren't registered anymore.  Check brubber's answer in Backup problem Unable to create disk snapshot try running chkdsk /f/r for another possible fix.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 1:47 PM

• I backup problem is fixed so I am sharing the solution with you.
    My PC had 2 drives. It also had a backup or recovery drive.
    After I removed the recovery drive from the list of drives that needed to be backed up I was able to backup my PC.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 8:51 PM
  • Hi kariya21,  Just a post to say "thanks" for your suggestion to check that the 'Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider' service was enabled (concerning backup failure using WHS).  I had been getting the message 'The computer failed to take a snapshot of the volume for backup', and had spent much time trying to find a solution to the backups failing.  Enabling the service you mentioned solved the problem.  Thank you again!

hlsathaven
    19 Dec 2008
    Friday, December 19, 2008 4:45 AM