cannot connect HP WHS and DIR-655 Router???? RRS feed

• Question

• I just purhcased the a new HP WHS  X475. Great machine!

I failed to get the WHS connected to my two other computers thru my new DIR-655 router. 

I keep getting error messages on the Router Setup in the WHS Console about Remote Access not being connected..etc??

It appears thata port for my WHS is being blocked by the router?. I cannot find the solution in the router manual.

What I have been able to determine from various websites is that I may need to set up port forwarding on the DIR-655 or possibly obtain a static IP from my ISP to solve the problem????

Can someone tell me very simply what the best solution to get my home network communicating with the WHS???

Greatly appreciated!

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:09 PM

Answers

• It appears sometimes, that the uPNP on the 655 is problematic. If your WHS doesn't set it itself, you need to log into the router and go to the 'Advanced' menu on the top row, then select 'Port Forwarding' on the left-hand side. You will need to forward ports 80, 443 and 4125. These are http, https and RDP respectively, and need to be forwarded to the IP address of your WHS.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:03 PM
  • If I understand correctly, the connector is failing to install at the point where it asks for the password for the server console? You must have successfully installed the connector on some PC on your network for you to be seeing that prompt; the initial installation (on the very first PC) takes you through some basic setup steps that include creating that password. No port forwarding is required to get the Connector to install, by the way.

Try disconnecting your router from your internet connection, then re-run the installation of the connector on one of the PCs that's failing.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:03 PM
  • The connector software did install sucessfully on the main computer and everything works.

I was also able to install the connector software on the other two computers on my network but after it I type in the HP Server password it asks for, the connector advises it cannot connect to the server at this time???. The password I am using is correct!!!

I will disconnect the internet connection on the router and reinstall the software

Thanks

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Thanks

I will check my firewall to make sure port 4125 is not being blocked

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

Set up port forwarding on all ports as suggested above....

I use the DIR-655 and one of the features I really like is IP "reservations" which is like setting a static IP for a particular computer or device----without going through the hassle of doing so----the router just "reserves" that particular IP for that device......

I have my server IP set as reserved---as well as my HP MediaSmart HD TV

In the D-Link router Config page go to the Internet Tab>>>>>Network Settings on the left

Also make sure you have the latest firmware----there is a place within the config page where you can update your firmware as well.....

The D-Link takes a little bit of getting used to----but it has a TON more capabilities and features compared to my old Linksys.....

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Did you set up "Port Forwarding" for ports 80, 443 and 4125 so the WHS can remote access??

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:47 PM
  • It does lose things after afirmware update.....

However, the D-Link allows you to save your settings to a safe place and then reload them after a firmware update.  It reminds you to do this before you update the firmware.....

I keep a copy of the settings on the desktop of main machine-----and a backup on the server

There are soooooo many settings------one you have the router tuned theway you like it-----do a save settings within the D-Link config page.

Answer to above------Yes, I forwarded all three ports :80, 443, 4125 to the reserved IP address od the server.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:00 PM

All replies

• What errors do you see when you try to access your server from another PC on your home network? Have you installed the WHS Connector (the "Software Installation" disc that came with your server)? Did you get an error when you tried?
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:55 PM
  • It appears sometimes, that the uPNP on the 655 is problematic. If your WHS doesn't set it itself, you need to log into the router and go to the 'Advanced' menu on the top row, then select 'Port Forwarding' on the left-hand side. You will need to forward ports 80, 443 and 4125. These are http, https and RDP respectively, and need to be forwarded to the IP address of your WHS.

HTH,

Colin

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:03 PM
  • I loaded the Connector software. It easily located the HP Server,however, when I tried to login it responded with an error that it could not connect?. I tried this on both my Vista Laptop and my other Vista Desktop computer on my network. Both gave the same response which led me to believe the port on the router may be blocked for some reason even though the connector software found the server??? I understand I may need to forward ports 80 and I think 443 to get this to work.

I read on another website that the pcdiscovery log may point to the poroblem in more detail???

Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:20 PM
  •  

Hi,

You need to ensure that 4125 isn't blocked in your firewall(s). In general, the Connector software manages the firewall, but it's worth checking.

Also, the latest version of the Connector software is the version stored in Shared Folders - Software - Home Server Connector Software. Also, ensure that the user name/password is correct.

Colin

Sunday, March 23, 2008 5:21 PM
  • If I understand correctly, the connector is failing to install at the point where it asks for the password for the server console? You must have successfully installed the connector on some PC on your network for you to be seeing that prompt; the initial installation (on the very first PC) takes you through some basic setup steps that include creating that password. No port forwarding is required to get the Connector to install, by the way.

Try disconnecting your router from your internet connection, then re-run the installation of the connector on one of the PCs that's failing.
    Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:03 PM
  • The connector software did install sucessfully on the main computer and everything works.

I was also able to install the connector software on the other two computers on my network but after it I type in the HP Server password it asks for, the connector advises it cannot connect to the server at this time???. The password I am using is correct!!!

I will disconnect the internet connection on the router and reinstall the software

Thanks

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:32 PM
  • Thanks

I will check my firewall to make sure port 4125 is not being blocked

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:36 PM
  •  

Set up port forwarding on all ports as suggested above....

I use the DIR-655 and one of the features I really like is IP "reservations" which is like setting a static IP for a particular computer or device----without going through the hassle of doing so----the router just "reserves" that particular IP for that device......

I have my server IP set as reserved---as well as my HP MediaSmart HD TV

In the D-Link router Config page go to the Internet Tab>>>>>Network Settings on the left

Also make sure you have the latest firmware----there is a place within the config page where you can update your firmware as well.....

The D-Link takes a little bit of getting used to----but it has a TON more capabilities and features compared to my old Linksys.....

Monday, March 24, 2008 12:46 AM
  •  

Thanks

I will try this

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:32 PM
  • Did you set up "Port Forwarding" for ports 80, 443 and 4125 so the WHS can remote access??

Monday, March 24, 2008 9:47 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. I lost connectivity on or around the same time i upgraded my firmware on the dir655. Not sure if its related, but worth investigating. Could the connector software adapted itself to the routher config, and when I had to reconfigure (nessessary of the flashed firmware) could that be it?

I just do not see how playing with the firewall settings will change much. My PCs and server are in the inside of the firewall (i.e. all using the lan ports) any more ideas?

Does anyone know how I can find out what network settings the server has?

Friday, March 28, 2008 2:56 AM
  • You may want to recheck each and every setting on your d-link.  After upgrading the firmware, I lost some (but not all) of my settings.  I expected them to remain intact or to loose them all... it was odd.  I ended up resetting back to the factory defaults and starting over. That seemed to work for me.

Friday, March 28, 2008 7:21 PM
  • It does lose things after afirmware update.....

However, the D-Link allows you to save your settings to a safe place and then reload them after a firmware update.  It reminds you to do this before you update the firmware.....

I keep a copy of the settings on the desktop of main machine-----and a backup on the server

There are soooooo many settings------one you have the router tuned theway you like it-----do a save settings within the D-Link config page.

Answer to above------Yes, I forwarded all three ports :80, 443, 4125 to the reserved IP address od the server.

Saturday, March 29, 2008 2:00 PM
  • I also have the media smart server and the same router.

I  had the problem where you couldnt connect to the server. You have to check your firewall ie. windows firewall and a firewall software you installed. After doing this I could connect to the HP WHS but only through my network but am still unable to connect remotely ... hope this helps
    Tuesday, June 10, 2008 7:53 PM
  • I FIXED IT !!!!!!....

I did the port forwarding and all the other applications (cant remember off the top of my head)  on the router. Then in the media server console you click setup again, if you already not done this, and you should get 5/6 checkmarks.... then I got frusterated with why it didnt work so I turned off the web connectivity waited a couple of minutes and turned it back on.... and IT WORKED... apparently, you have to turn the web connectivity off then back on to show the server that you manually configured it. I hope this helps and I will post exactly what I did with the 655 router before turning off web conectivity.

Cheers!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Downzz,

I have a BIG favor to ask you.  I have looked high and low for a screenshot of someone's DIR-655 port forwarding config screen, and haven't found anything.  I have not been able to get remote access going on my WHS, even though I have forwarded all the relevant ports, etc., and was wondering if there was something I was doing wrong.  Anyway, if you have a minute and wouldn't mind throwing a screenshot up here, I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks!
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:05 PM
  • Hey wnhs,

The things I changed on the DIR-655 was... turned off my firewalls on my computer, then I port forwarded and also put the server in the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) (... i don't know if this actually does anything, but my server works so I'm not going to touch it)

Then you have to turn off you web connectivity in the server console under remote desktop then turn it back on. I had problems with the server receiving remote desktop and turning off the web connectivity fix the problem.

And how do I attach a screen shot?

Thanks
    Monday, July 14, 2008 3:47 PM
  •  Downzz wrote:
    Hey wnhs,

The things I changed on the DIR-655 was... turned off my firewalls on my computer, then I port forwarded and also put the server in the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) (... i don't know if this actually does anything, but my server works so I'm not going to touch it)

Yes, it does.  It means your server is not protected by your router firewall at all (and frankly, that's a really bad idea).  I would strongly recommend you try to find an alternate solution (even if that means buying a new router that will work).

To wnhs, I would not go with his advice based on that alone.

Downzz wrote:
    Then you have to turn off you web connectivity in the server console under remote desktop then turn it back on. I had problems with the server receiving remote desktop and turning off the web connectivity fix the problem.

And how do I attach a screen shot?

Thanks

Monday, July 14, 2008 6:11 PM
  •  kariya21 wrote:

Yes, it does.  It means your server is not protected by your router firewall at all (and frankly, that's a really bad idea).  I would strongly recommend you try to find an alternate solution (even if that means buying a new router that will work).

To wnhs, I would not go with his advice based on that alone.

Thanks for letting me know kariya21

I took the server off DMZ and the server still works, so I guess Im doing something right.
    Monday, July 14, 2008 6:20 PM
  •  Downzz wrote:
    Thanks for letting me know kariya21

I took the server off DMZ and the server still works, so I guess Im doing something right.

Good, glad to hear it!!!  Smile

Monday, July 14, 2008 7:37 PM