Can't Stop Media Center Connector RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After installing PP2, I saw the new options for media support in WHS.  Not really understanding it's purpose, I installed Media Center Connector on my Vista Ultimate Desktop.  Now there is a process called WMPNETWK.EXE running and hitting the network/WHS almost constantly. 

I don't see any visible difference in Windows Media Player / Libraries, etc. and would like to uninstall / disconnect so that performance is no longer impacted.

Are there further resources available to understand the recent changes in WHS and Media Connector?

Thanks in advance!

Toby
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 2:14 PM

Answers

• Lara,

Thanks for the reply.  I still need to know how to uninstall / disconnect so that MCC is not constantly hitting the network and using CPU Cycles.

Thanks,

Toby

> WMPNETWK.EXE is a Windows Media Player file. The description is "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" in task manager and if you right click and select file location, it takes you directly to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and not C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.

You can't uninstall this service. You can stop it but I would not recommend it. 

The Media Connector uses Windows Media Center and makes shares available. If you are watching folders in your windows media player library, this may be why you are seeing load and would be a problem with any SMB share.  I would file a bug with the Windows 7 team.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

After installing PP2, I saw the new options for media support in WHS.  Not really understanding it's purpose, I installed Media Center Connector on my Vista Ultimate Desktop.  Now there is a process called WMPNETWK.EXE running and hitting the network/WHS almost constantly. 

I don't see any visible difference in Windows Media Player / Libraries, etc. and would like to uninstall / disconnect so that performance is no longer impacted.

Are there further resources available to understand the recent changes in WHS and Media Connector?

Thanks in advance!

Toby
    There's the team blog which also has links to various Windows Home Server MVPs who blog about Windows Home Server and there is the the documentation available at the DLC.

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 7:08 PM
  • Lara,

Thanks for the reply.  I still need to know how to uninstall / disconnect so that MCC is not constantly hitting the network and using CPU Cycles.

Thanks,

Toby
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Lara,

Thanks,

Toby

> WMPNETWK.EXE is a Windows Media Player file. The description is "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" in task manager and if you right click and select file location, it takes you directly to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player and not C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server.

You can't uninstall this service. You can stop it but I would not recommend it. 

The Media Connector uses Windows Media Center and makes shares available. If you are watching folders in your windows media player library, this may be why you are seeing load and would be a problem with any SMB share.  I would file a bug with the Windows 7 team.

Thank you
    Windows Home Server
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Thanks Again Lara,

The reason that I filed the question here is that the behavior did not start until I installed the Media Center Connector software that came in PP2. 
    Friday, April 24, 2009 1:55 PM