Choosing sync action similar to Briefcase RRS feed

• Question

• I just started using SyncToy because I have moved to Windows 7 Home Premium.  I was previously using the off-line built in synchronization in XP.  I have also used Briefcase but it gets pretty flakey and I always end up with orphaned files and no way to recover.  SyncToy works great on my systems.  I regularly sync between three computers. Is there an option to choose which file gets overridden if both left and right side files have been modified using the Sync mode?  It appears the current action is that the latest to be modified wins and overwrites the older version.  I would like to make the decision either manually or set a rule that says left overwrites right or something similar.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Dr.Don,

For SyncToy2.1, we have 3 sync mode which are Synchronize, Echo and Contribute. "Synchronize" means changes on both side of left folder and right folder will reflect on the other side. And "Echo" means changes on left side(left folder) will reflect on the right side(right folder). Also, "Contribute" means changes except deletion on the left side(left folder) will reflect the right side(right folder).

So,  in situation you mentioned, you can choose "Echo" mode to realize syncing from left to right one way.

Thanks,

Danish

Wednesday, May 26, 2010 6:05 AM
  • Is the Briefcase 'status column details' in File Manager no longer supported in Windows 7?  I was using Vista and Briefcase worked fine, but recently upgraded to Win7 Home Premium.

In Windows 7 File Manager, how do you.....

1) get the 'status column' to display for subfolders?  That column only displays at the briefcase level, and the right-click to choose column details gives no response for sub-folders of the briefcase.

2) get the 'update status' for files/briefcases to appear in the 'status column'?

Thanks for any help.

Sunday, July 11, 2010 10:25 PM
  • For SyncToy2.1, we have 3 sync mode which are Synchronize, Echo and Contribute. "Synchronize" means changes on both side of left folder and right folder will reflect on the other side. And "Echo" means changes on left side(left folder) will reflect on the right side(right folder). Also, "Contribute" means changes except deletion on the left side(left folder) will reflect the right side(right folder).

So,  in situation you mentioned, you can choose "Echo" mode to realize syncing from left to right one way.

That doesn't really answer his point at all. He clearly wants to be prompted for each file that has changed on both sides and asked which one is to be overwritten.

Brian G. [in the UK]
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:21 PM