Server Backup with more than one hard drives.. RRS feed

• Question

• Have a new WHS 2011 install.  System has two 1TB hard drives.  Hard Drive one has sys and data.  The second drive is configured to be a server backup drive.  I also a an external 1TB USB drive that is also configured to be a server backup drive.  This drive will be taken off site on Friday's and replaced with another configured 1TB drive on Monday.  Both drives are checked in the server backup configuration setup.  After the server runs a backup the listing only shows the backup is going to one drive.  I could not get the back up to be sent to both drives so I took one out of the list and preformed a backup.  

My question is will WHS 2011 make a Server Backup to more than one configured drives?   

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:37 AM

All replies

• No. WHS 2011 can only back up to a single drive and the maximum it can back up is 2TB. If you want to use two drives as you suggest, which is a good backup strategy, the first has to be removed first.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, October 14, 2011 2:08 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:52 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  It just seems strange that the software allows you to select more than one hard drives for the server backup if it was not going to use the selections.  The documentation even uses the plural drives when it talks about the drives attached to server backups.  Thanks again
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Indeed that does seem strange.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, October 14, 2011 2:09 AM
  • It allows you to select more than one drive because, if you have multiple backup drives, you can disconnect all but one and backups will continue to occur. Then you can take the disconnected drive(s) off-site for safekeeping. The presumption is that you will back up to an external drive for off-site storage, or to an internal drive in a hot swap drive caddy, not to a fixed internal hard drive.

A backup will, as you've discovered, only be written to a single target, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Edited by Ken Warren Friday, October 14, 2011 5:26 AM
    Friday, October 14, 2011 5:25 AM
  • It allows you to select more than one drive because, if you have multiple backup drives, you can disconnect all but one and backups will continue to occur. Then you can take the disconnected drive(s) off-site for safekeeping. The presumption is that you will back up to an external drive for off-site storage, or to an internal drive in a hot swap drive caddy, not to a fixed internal hard drive.

A backup will, as you've discovered, only be written to a single target, though.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Ken, I am still on WHSv1 but contemplating a move to WHS 2011. Am I understanding correctly that if I have a hot swap drive caddy, I can have two physical drives (say Backup A and Backup B) defined in WHS as backup drives, and whichever is inserted in the caddy will receive the automatic backups? Also, will WHS correctly delete the oldest backups from each physical drive in this scenario as they become full, or is some manual cleanup required?

Friday, October 21, 2011 1:01 PM
  • Yes you can do what you suggest. When you put a new drive in you will be asked if you want to keep existing backups. DO NOT allow it to format the drive or it will end up with a druive letter and be used for internal storage.

As for cleaning up old backups, that's a bit of a mystery. My servers do clean up old backups to create additional space if required but others have reported problems with constant "low drive space" warnings. There are no manual tools for cleaning up backups.

• Proposed as answer by Teetime17 Thursday, October 27, 2011 11:47 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 1:11 PM
  • Phil,

I have two external hard drives.  1TB + 2TB.  My server has 2.7 tb of storage.  
    Under version 1 I would send some folders to the 1TB drive and others to the 2TB drive and my server was fully backed up (excluding the client backups.)

If I understanding this correctly, I cannot backup more than 2TB of server data using the server backup.   So WHS 2011 systems with more than 2TB of data cannot be fully protected.   That would seem like a big limitation.

-Lee

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:47 PM
  • Fundamentally that's true using the Dashboard, but you could back up a 2TB chunk of data, remove that backup disk and then re-setup the backup to back up a different chunk of data to a second external drive - not very automated I agree.

Alternatively, you could use the underlying Server 2008 functionality - search this forum for details.

Monday, October 31, 2011 3:24 PM
  • Fundamentally that's true using the Dashboard, but you could back up a 2TB chunk of data, remove that backup disk and then re-setup the backup to back up a different chunk of data to a second external drive - not very automated I agree.

Alternatively, you could use the underlying Server 2008 functionality - search this forum for details.

OK   I'll look at the 2008 backup.  I wish they could have done a better job with server backup management.   Rules for cleanup of old backups and different jobs would have been nice.

Some of my data does not change often so I'll use synctoy and the 1TB for that data and do a server backup of the rest of the data to the 2TB drive.

-Lee

Monday, October 31, 2011 5:10 PM