Upgrading to Communicator R2 RRS feed

• Question

• We're planning to stay on OCS 2007 and not upgrade to R2 (we can't justify the additional licensing cost as we don't use any of the telephony features). We do get Communicator R2 free as part of our licensing arrangement though and I wondered whether people in a similar situation will be upgrading their clients to R2 even their infrastructure is staying at RTM?

As an aside, I upgrade a couple of test machines and the desktop sharing feature (and rich text conversations) work just great between R2 clients on RTM infrastructure. I had been told by an MS person at TechEd that we would need R2 infrastructure to get desktop sharing to work. It seems not! Does this seem right? Is it supported? If this is true, then it is an added incentive to stay at RTM as we gain addition client functionality for "free".

Cheers!

Alex

Sunday, March 8, 2009 5:13 PM

Answers

• Alex,

Because the Desktop Sharing works peer-to-peer then what your have witnessed is correct.  I'm not sure what any cost/licensing ramifactions there may be, but technically the updated R2 clients will work with a 2007 Front-End server.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lomas Monday, March 9, 2009 3:29 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:27 PM

All replies

• Alex,

Because the Desktop Sharing works peer-to-peer then what your have witnessed is correct.  I'm not sure what any cost/licensing ramifactions there may be, but technically the updated R2 clients will work with a 2007 Front-End server.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    • Marked as answer by Alex Lomas Monday, March 9, 2009 3:29 PM
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:27 PM
  • That's great - we're certainly covered for standard and enterprise CALs as part of our Campus Agreement.

Cheers!
    Monday, March 9, 2009 3:29 PM
  • fyi - 

I have actually yet to see an official "this is supported" from Microsoft on this scenario (for Communicator R2 clients running against an OCS RTM back-end), but I have tested it myself in a lab and it seems to work fine.

Also, in the Communicator R2 release notes, there are a couple of issues noted when using the R2 client against an OCS RTM back-end, but they are related to enterprise voice and do not appear to be show-stoppers.

Curtis
    www.insideocs.com

Thursday, March 12, 2009 3:10 PM