routing RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 150  pushpins in a particular city and would like to divide these into 5 routes. I know I can do a drivetime zone within a certain distance from a center point, but does anyone know how I can just draw boundary lines and have the program route within those lines. For instance...can I do 5 different drivetime zones and somehow not have them overlap and is there a way to change the background color for drivetime zones so they are not all in blue? Thanks!
    Monday, January 30, 2012 3:22 PM

Answers

• I would start by visually dividing your pushpin population into five pushpin sets.  To do this, I would use the "Freeform" drawing tool to visually divide the city into five sectors of approximately 30 pushins each, like a pie, although I am not sure this is what you have in mind. This would give you geographically compact routes but you may have other considerations such as business reasons.  Note that you can give each sector a different fill-in color which you can display "under" the roads, pushpins and other features by right-clicking on the boundary of the sector and under "Order" click "Send behind roads."  You can adjust the sector boundaries by clicking and dragging nodes of the boundary as required.  

Now, create 5 new pushpin sets and populate them with your stops.  To do this, drop a new pushpin anywhere in one of the sectors, say Route 1, go to the Properties of that pushpin set and rename it "Route 1."  Then go to each pushpin in the first sector one at a time, right-click, and change its "Data set name" to "Route 1."  When all those in Route 1 are done, create a new pushpin set by right-clicking on any pushpin, clicking on "Properties" and clicking on "New data set", inserting the new name, say, "Route 2."  Then repeat populating that set the same way you did for Route 1 and so on for the remaining sets.  When that is done, you will have five routes populated with pushpins.  You can refine these selections by changing route assignments by going to the pushpin Properties and selecting a different Route/Set.  You might want to change the pushpins sets so that each route has color-coded pushpins by going to the Properties of the pushpin set and changing the icon under "Symbol".  Save this map as a new file.

To create the routes, enter Start and End points for a new route and go to a set and right-click to "Add pushpins as stops" then "Optimize route" under the Route planner panel on the left.  Note that you can only have one route per file, so you should save that as "Route 1.est" before going on to replicating the process for the the other routes.  When that is all done, you should go back and delete all the pushpin sets except the one for the particular route of that file.  You should then end up with 6 files: one for the original population of 150 pushpins and five others each of +/- 30 each for the newly created routes. 

• Marked as answer by jwhum Monday, January 30, 2012 8:29 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:05 PM

All replies

• You could draw a rectangle around the desired group of pushpins to select them, then right-click within the rectangle, and select "Add pushpins as stops".

Laptop GPS World
    Monday, January 30, 2012 7:51 PM
  • I would start by visually dividing your pushpin population into five pushpin sets.  To do this, I would use the "Freeform" drawing tool to visually divide the city into five sectors of approximately 30 pushins each, like a pie, although I am not sure this is what you have in mind. This would give you geographically compact routes but you may have other considerations such as business reasons.  Note that you can give each sector a different fill-in color which you can display "under" the roads, pushpins and other features by right-clicking on the boundary of the sector and under "Order" click "Send behind roads."  You can adjust the sector boundaries by clicking and dragging nodes of the boundary as required.  

Now, create 5 new pushpin sets and populate them with your stops.  To do this, drop a new pushpin anywhere in one of the sectors, say Route 1, go to the Properties of that pushpin set and rename it "Route 1."  Then go to each pushpin in the first sector one at a time, right-click, and change its "Data set name" to "Route 1."  When all those in Route 1 are done, create a new pushpin set by right-clicking on any pushpin, clicking on "Properties" and clicking on "New data set", inserting the new name, say, "Route 2."  Then repeat populating that set the same way you did for Route 1 and so on for the remaining sets.  When that is done, you will have five routes populated with pushpins.  You can refine these selections by changing route assignments by going to the pushpin Properties and selecting a different Route/Set.  You might want to change the pushpins sets so that each route has color-coded pushpins by going to the Properties of the pushpin set and changing the icon under "Symbol".  Save this map as a new file.

To create the routes, enter Start and End points for a new route and go to a set and right-click to "Add pushpins as stops" then "Optimize route" under the Route planner panel on the left.  Note that you can only have one route per file, so you should save that as "Route 1.est" before going on to replicating the process for the the other routes.  When that is all done, you should go back and delete all the pushpin sets except the one for the particular route of that file.  You should then end up with 6 files: one for the original population of 150 pushpins and five others each of +/- 30 each for the newly created routes. 

• Marked as answer by jwhum Monday, January 30, 2012 8:29 PM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Thanks for the very helpful information!
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:29 PM
  • Do you know how to upload the routes to a mobile device, such as a garmin or i-pad
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:58 PM
  • The files can be exported from S&T as GPX files if your garmin will accept. 

You could "print" the Driving directions as a PDF file and import that onto your IPad but, as the IPad does not have a Windows operating system, you could not use it for GPS-linked navigation.

Monday, January 30, 2012 9:16 PM
  • You could draw a rectangle around the desired group of pushpins to select them, then right-click within the rectangle, and select "Add pushpins as stops".

Laptop GPS World

Yes, Marvin's suggestion will work provided your geographic sectors lend themselves to rectangular selections.  This would be quicker than my suggestion as it involves fewer steps.  You could do this for the majority of the pushpins and then make 'manual' adjustments to those pushpins that do not fit easily into the rectangular selections. 
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 2:48 PM