none
where-object that returns objects that match criteria and use a string array as exclusion criteria RRS feed

• Question

• The script I am working on will Return matching driver objects.

i.e. 

$driverMatch = Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver | Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName | Where-Object {$_.ClassGuid -eq "$ClassGUID" -and $_.DeviceName -like "$DisplayName"}

The script user will have three variables to use as input: The generic search query to match the driver description ($DisplayName); the device class guid ($ClassGUID); and the part I'm having a problem with an array of exclude strings ($ExcludeDisplayName)

I my head I am getting a "set of objects that match my first criteria; ClassGUID and DisplayName. Then I am going a step further, checking the DeviceName of those objects for a match again my exclude strings and if found throwing those objects out. This would in the end leave me with a set of objects that match the classGUID and the generic display name and do not have any of the exclude strings included in their name.

[string]$DisplayName = "*USB*" 					# Search Query to Match Driver Description. Be sure to include * (wildcards) where appropriate
    [string]$ClassGUID = "{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}" # DeviceID - Use the following; Device Manager \ Device \ Details Tab \ Device class guid Property
    [String[]]$ExcludeDisplayName = "*Generic*","*Root*"

$driverMatch = Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver | Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName | Where-Object {$_.ClassGuid -eq "$ClassGUID" -and $_.DeviceName -like "$DisplayName"} | Where-Object {$ExcludeDisplayName -notcontains $_.DeviceName}

The problem is the second Where-Object \ filter doesn't work. It isn't filtering out the objects that match the exclude wildcards

• Edited by thebman313 Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:17 PM
    • Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, March 12, 2018 9:07 PM Abandoned
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 4:11 PM

All replies

• You are making a lot of statements about what you are doing.  You have not asked a question or posted an error.  What is it that you are asking us to answer?

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 7:58 PM
  • You are making a lot of statements about what you are doing.  You have not asked a question or posted an error.  What is it that you are asking us to answer?

\_(ツ)_/

The problem is the second Where-Object \ filter doesn't work. It isn't filtering out the objects that match the exclude wildcards
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:17 PM
  • What where object is an exclude?

This will only ever return one object or no objects:

Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver |
    	Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName |
    	Where-Object { $_.ClassGuid -eq $ClassGUID -and $_.DeviceName -like $DisplayName }

Which is correctly written as:

Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver -Filter "ClassGuid = '$ClassGUID' AND DisplayName LIKE '$DisplayName '"
    	Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName

I see no exclusions.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:25 PM
  • Note also the PnPDriver does not have a "DisplayName" property.  Perhaps you mean "DeviceID"?

You need to analyze the class properties and decide what it is you are trying to do.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:37 PM
    Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:36 PM
  • So I have an array of words that I would like to use as excludes

[String[]]$ExcludeDisplayName = "*Generic*","*Root*"

If the Display name has any of those words in it I don't want to return that object. Please see the last pipe at the end of the following code.

$driverMatch = Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver | Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName | Where-Object {$_.ClassGuid -eq "$ClassGUID" -and $_.DeviceName -like "$DisplayName"} | Where-Object {$ExcludeDisplayName -notcontains $_.DeviceName}

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:41 PM
  • As noted there is no "DisplayName' property.  Use either DevieID or DeviceName
    $exclude = 'Generic|Root'
    Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver |
        Where{$_.DeviceName -notmatch $exclude}

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:46 PM
  • For what you are doing this is all you need:

Get-CimInstance Win32_PnPSignedDriver  -filter "DeviceClass='USB'"|
         Select-Object ClassGuid, DeviceName, DriverVersion, InfName 

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, January 30, 2018 8:52 PM