none
Can't post to forums. RRS feed

• Question

• FINALLY, I figured out that I can post to forums if I logout and post with a different passport.

With my -at work- passport, I can't post to ANY forum, clicking on the "ask a question" link or on any "reply" link just takes me to my profile page, where I can't do very much-- except look at a couple of threads I successfully posted to over a year ago.   I then try to get help-- well, guess what  ALL the help says to post to some forum or other (bug reports, etc.), which is USELESS if you can't post to a forum, is it not?   I then try the "contact us" email and get what looks like an automated response sending me a link to the forum help page which as I've already said, just tells you to post your issues to some forum (which I can't do).   I then replied to that message with a comment, and got another slightly modified version of the same canned response that this time has a link to the Microsoft product help pages, which isn't much good because MSDN forums is not listed on the product pages!    What a run around.

So I try it on several different browsers, including several versions of IE, several different computers, even a different network, in case it's due to blocking of an IP or something, and FINALLY, when I try my home username instead of my work username for login, I can get to where I can post to the forums.  So it has something to do with my work passport...

What a totally brain-damaged system.    If it's broke, you're supposed to use the BROKEN system to report that it's broke.   Yeah, right.   Good luck with that.

So how do I fix my work passport account?    I don't see a way to delete my forum profile and start over, which I would think might be one way...

--

kdd21
    Monday, May 10, 2010 10:38 PM

Answers

• Well, I think I got it sorted out, without useful help from Microsoft.   I noticed that my Display Name was the same on both accounts, and they were both showing the same messages in the profile that I had posted some time ago.   So obviously, the two accounts were linked somehow and they shouldn't be.   So, I edited my profile on my home account and changed my display name to something else.   Voila-- at that point, logging in as my work account it no longer thought it had a profile, and I was able to create a new one.   At which point, I could finally post using my work account.

Seems to me that could be a fundamental flaw with the "global" passport concept-- people like me, don't want to mix my work business with my home entertainment, so I don't use the same account, though I may use the same computers.   I work from home, and when I knock off for the day, I log out of the company VPN, and may continue to surf for personal reasons like buying books on Amazon, bidding on eBay or whatever.    But  it would appear that all this tracking cookie/passport funnybusiness still tries pretty hard to tie all my activity together as one.   NOT A GOOD THING, as it obviously can get pretty confused.

kdd21
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:04 PM

All replies

• Well, I think I got it sorted out, without useful help from Microsoft.   I noticed that my Display Name was the same on both accounts, and they were both showing the same messages in the profile that I had posted some time ago.   So obviously, the two accounts were linked somehow and they shouldn't be.   So, I edited my profile on my home account and changed my display name to something else.   Voila-- at that point, logging in as my work account it no longer thought it had a profile, and I was able to create a new one.   At which point, I could finally post using my work account.

Seems to me that could be a fundamental flaw with the "global" passport concept-- people like me, don't want to mix my work business with my home entertainment, so I don't use the same account, though I may use the same computers.   I work from home, and when I knock off for the day, I log out of the company VPN, and may continue to surf for personal reasons like buying books on Amazon, bidding on eBay or whatever.    But  it would appear that all this tracking cookie/passport funnybusiness still tries pretty hard to tie all my activity together as one.   NOT A GOOD THING, as it obviously can get pretty confused.

kdd21
    Monday, May 10, 2010 11:04 PM
  • I was having a similar problem with my primary Windows Live account. Every time I tried to post to a forum or reply to a question, I got thrown to a read-only view of my MSDN profile page and couldn't edit/fix anything. I contacted Microsoft about it weeks ago, and they're still looking into it.

I do have another Windows Live account (the one I'm using right this moment) under a different email address, so I tried logging in under that one, and I can post to the forums just fine. I also tried editing my display name in the first account like you suggested, but in my case, that didn't fix it. The first account still doesn't work. It's annoying because the first account is the one I use for my business and has my Action Pack subscription and all my other key information associated with it. As a consultant, not being able to post to the forums and answer other users' questions is definitely a hindrance.

The long and short of it seems to be that this whole "profile" framework has some bugs in it.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:43 PM