Please help! Need to upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Please help!  I am taking a website development course, and I need to use Visual Studio.net 2003 for this class.  The professor told me that I could not run VS.net on XP Home(which my PC currently uses), so he sent me a link to this site where I could get XP Pro at a student discount.  The I ordered the software from a company called Aravato Services (e-Academy Inc.).  It is the full version of XP Pro.  It arrived and now I have been reading all sorts of posts with "horror stories" about upgrading Home to Pro.  Some say I need a special "upgrade version" of the XP Pro, others say I need to do a "clean install" and wipe my hard drive clean.  what is the real story? can I upgrade using the full version?  Will I lose all my files and programs if I don't buy a separate hard drive to back them up?  Also, the company just sent me two disks in sleeves, with no box or documentation, just product keys.  The disks aren't even numbered.  One disk says "XP Professional with Service Pack 2", and the other says, "XP Professional x64 Edition".  And they both have unique product keys.  What's the difference?  I know there are a lot of questions here, but I really appreciate any help you can give me.  Thank you in advance.
    Sunday, October 1, 2006 1:25 AM

Answers

All replies

• For all support issues related to registration, purchase or download from the eStore please refer to eStore Support. (eStore Support. (http://estore.e-academy.com/index.cfm?loc=support/sup_main).
    Sunday, October 1, 2006 2:25 AM
  •  patsfan5480 wrote:
    One disk says "XP Professional with Service Pack 2", and the other says, "XP Professional x64 Edition".  And they both have unique product keys.  quote]

If the disk is an actual UPGRADE disk, just install it over your existing Home edition.  If it's a Full Version disk, you might want to consider adding a slave drive to store all your important personal files on, FDISK the primary drive and do a whole new installation using the XP Pro x/SP2 disk.

Office Depot has a 160G HDD on sale now for $30; how can you go wrong?  It's not a bad idea to do a fresh start cleanup every year or 2 anyway.  Good luck.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 5:25 AM
  •  patsfan5480 wrote:

>snip<Also, the company just sent me two disks in sleeves, with no box or documentation, just product keys.  The disks aren't even numbered.>snip>

I would the the most surprised person in the world if these products turned out to be Genuine licenses for Windows XP Professional.

If your current installation of XP Home is working properly and is kept updated, you will not have any trouble upgrading to XP Pro with either a genuine full retail license or genuine upgrade retail license of XP Pro.  In both cases, Setup will see the installed XP Home, and is designed to preserve your installed programs and user data.

It has always been a wise computing practice to back up valuable data before making a major change to the Operating System or computer hardware such as what you are intending to do.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 8:36 PM