Apply filter before initial sync in Configure Data Synchronization wizard? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All,

I'm just getting started with sync services and have a question about applying filters that I haven't been able to find an answer to.  In VS 2008, I create a local db cache (via Add New Item).  On the configure wizard that pops up in specifying tables to sync, I select the "generate scripts" option but do not select the "execute scripts" option  as I would like to apply a filter before the cache is filled with data.  However, with these options the wizard downloads all the data.  I can then go in and add my filters but then need to wipe out the existing data and then do a sync (download first --then change the setting to bidirectional).

Am I doing something wrong or is this just a limitation of using the wizard? Are there any work arounds  that I should know of?

Thanks for any sugggestions you can provide. 

Have a  great day!

chris

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 8:07 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:27 AM

All replies

• This is a little bit confusing.  This is a limitation of the sync designer, but not the sync framework.  The sync designer automatically performs an initial sync of your whole database.  The only way to get around this that I am aware of, is to do the following:

• Clear out all the filtered tables in your local database cache
    • Before you perform a sync programmatically, you need to go into your server database and update the last updated column of the filtered tables. 

Once you have done this you will only get the filtered data the first time you sync.  Hope this helps.

-Marc

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 6:33 PM