none
Windows Server Backup bug?

Question

• Using the Microsoft Server Backup wizard, I'm trying to set up a simple backup schedule for a few small files (mostly HTML and php files) to network storage, from a Win 2012 R2 server (fully updated, not running any special services except FileMaker Server).

Using the wizard, I can set up and execute 'Backup once...' successfully.

However, when I use the wizard to set up a 'Backup schedule...' (with exactly the same settings, only with the addition of the time and frequency settings) the process fails at the final step with the rather unhelpful information 'the parameter is incorrect' (no error code).

This is clearly a bug -- firstly, the files and network settings are correct, as the 'Backup once' option works. Secondly, the point of a wizard is that you shouldn't be able to submit incorrect parameters. Thirdly, the lack of a proper error code suggests that this is failing somewhere where the product developers weren't anticipating a failure.

There doesn't seem to be a way to notify Microsoft about a bug, so I am starting a discussion here in the hope that someone can help advise me about the best way forward. This obviously isn't the best forum for this question, but I can't find any forum that discusses general bugs/issues -- I'd be really grateful if anyone could suggest a more effective place to post this question!

• Moved by Just KarlModerator Wednesday, January 11, 2017 3:53 PM Looking for the correct forum.
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 10:30 AM

Answers

All replies