WHS client backup fails with access denied error RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new laptop with Windows 8.1 on which I installed the Windows Home Server 2011 Connector and setup backups for it. The backups fail on every attempt reporting that an error has prevented backup from creating a snapshot of the volumes on this computer.

The event log reports Event ID 8194 with the following:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

I tried starting the VSS service and attempted the backup with the same result.

The service is running with the same settings that the service is running with on a computer which backs up successfully.

I tried searching the forum for related questions but received a server error.

Frederick Kurtz

Sunday, February 22, 2015 10:32 PM

Answers

• Do you have the UEFI Hotfix installed on your server? It is required

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272?wa=wsignin1.0

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by FredBK Monday, February 23, 2015 3:46 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 12:53 AM
  • IIRC, you should also run Windows Update after installing the hotfix.
    • Marked as answer by FredBK Monday, February 23, 2015 3:43 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 1:53 PM
  • I ran Windows Update, found one update, installed it and rebooted the server. This fixed the problem created by installing the hotfix.

I then started a backup of the new laptop. When I last checked the backup showed 6% completion so I believe I can assume that the problem is corrected. Thanks for the help.

This thread is closed.

Frederick Kurtz

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:26 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 3:45 PM

All replies

• Do you have the UEFI Hotfix installed on your server? It is required

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2781272?wa=wsignin1.0

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by FredBK Monday, February 23, 2015 3:46 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 12:53 AM
  • I downloaded and installed the UEFI Hotfix on the server. Now I cannot setup backups. I get an error that the computer is not connected. This is true for every client computer that previously were being backed up successfully.

Frederick Kurtz

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:28 AM
  • Hmm -well sorry about that! I assume that you have re-booted your server? From recollection, the Hotfix has 3 different options to install - which of the 3 did you use? I used the one with the latest date without issue on 2 different servers with multiple clients on each.

Monday, February 23, 2015 4:12 AM
  • IIRC, you should also run Windows Update after installing the hotfix.
    • Marked as answer by FredBK Monday, February 23, 2015 3:43 PM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 1:53 PM
  • I ran Windows Update, found one update, installed it and rebooted the server. This fixed the problem created by installing the hotfix.

I then started a backup of the new laptop. When I last checked the backup showed 6% completion so I believe I can assume that the problem is corrected. Thanks for the help.

This thread is closed.

Frederick Kurtz

• Marked as answer by Justin Gu Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:26 AM
    Monday, February 23, 2015 3:45 PM

Hi Frederick Kurtz,

Also thanks for your sharing in the forum. Your time and efforts are highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 7:26 AM