Acer COA SLP Invalid - How do I get a working key. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am hoping that somebody here can help me.

I have a customer who has an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop but the Vista Home Premium COA SLP key comes back as invalid (not unactivated BUT INVALID).

I have checked the key on the COA and I have typed it in correctly.

Now I know that I am probably going to be told to use the factory restore disc but these would not OEMact so I tried the key but that would not work so I used a full OEM disc to install vista but that too reported an invalid COA key.

I note from the tread below that the COA key is required to be valid (although I do understand that often it needs to be phone activated) however the key on the COA comes back as invalid which is weird as it is genuine with all security marks.

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/thread/5b7edfc4-ed9b-478e-8412-549a6586965f

I can provide the COA key to somebody at Microsoft but I won't post it here for obvious reasons.

Kind Regards
    Lee, Computaparts
    Monday, November 30, 2009 5:58 PM

Answers

• Hello Lee,

If you have another computer running Windows, you can try the steps I gave to bring up the Activate by Phone wizard to get the phone number.

"Now I know that I am probably going to be told to use the factory restore disc"

At this point, that is what I would suggest.  If you used OEM software, then the COA key 'should' work with it, but my understanding is that the supported process is to use the OEM Restore software that came with the computer.

Since the Activation or Anti-piracy systems are not at issue, this is outside my primary area of knowledge. I recommend posting in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activate' section of the Windows Answers Forum.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Friday, December 4, 2009 9:10 PM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot a non-genuine notification issue you may be experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool

Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post, along with your question.

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Monday, November 30, 2009 6:43 PM
  • Hi,

Yes when I get back to work I can download and run the MGADT but all I suspect all it will tell you is that a valid key has not yet been entered and that Windows Vista has not been activated (for the reasons stated above).

Quite simply the COA key comes back as INVAILD at any point. IE. Installation disc asks for COA key and comes back as invalid. Also the SLUI.EXE 3 activation client also reports that the KEY is INVALID so I can't even input the key there. The installation on the laptop at the moment was done by selecting the version of Vista shown on the COA (Home Premium) from a Standard Retail Disc as the OEM disc also failed.

I have checked VERY VERY carefully that the COA Key has been entered correctly (normal 8 or B / G or 6 etc).

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Kind Regards
    Lee, Computaparts
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:05 PM
  • Oh and just to clear up any confusion .... I am not having a WGA NON-GENUINE message issue from the installation, I can't enter the COA Key in the first place to get as far as activating the installation. My issue is that VISTA is convinced that my key is INVALID and won't accept it (which implys that I have entered it incorrectly but I am 100% sure that the key I have entered is the same as shown on the COA).
    Monday, November 30, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Hello Computaparts,

Without being able to see the key (and you are right, don't post it here), the only thing I can suggest is try the below steps. At the and it should require a Product Key to be entered and that interface will usually accept the COA key.

1) Open an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) You may be required to enter the Product Key and/or Activate.

If that doesn't work, try being up the Activate by Phone wizard to get the phone number of your local Activation Call Center and they should be able to check that key for you.

To Activate by Phone:

a)    If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type slui 4 in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b)    If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:00 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Computaparts Friday, December 4, 2009 5:54 PM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:00 PM
  • Hi Darin,

No that does not work.

I am now stuck with a Windows Activation Screen that states ''A Change occured to your Windows license'' (so far so good) BUT it still rejects the key as ''it would appear that this is not a valid vista key''.

I now cant access the slui 4 activation program either as windows just brings up the same screen as stated above. SO I CAN'T ACCESS THE TELEPHONE ACTIVATION program.

I now have a VERY CHEESED OFF CUSTOMER who wants to know why his laptop will not activate and ''whats taking so long'' (those are my words, his were not so polite!), what do I tell him? The key is genunie, an Acer COA on an Acer laptop, I dont think Acer have banged out a load of fake Vista COA's!

How do I get a valid key for my customer, nearly 3 hours on this now which is beyond a joke for one installation of Vista. There must be somebody I can give this key information too so it can get sorted or re-issued with a ''valid'' key????

Cheers
    Lee, Computaparts
    Friday, December 4, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Hello Lee,

If you have another computer running Windows, you can try the steps I gave to bring up the Activate by Phone wizard to get the phone number.

"Now I know that I am probably going to be told to use the factory restore disc"

At this point, that is what I would suggest.  If you used OEM software, then the COA key 'should' work with it, but my understanding is that the supported process is to use the OEM Restore software that came with the computer.

Since the Activation or Anti-piracy systems are not at issue, this is outside my primary area of knowledge. I recommend posting in the 'Install, Upgrade and Activate' section of the Windows Answers Forum.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
    Darin MS

Friday, December 4, 2009 9:10 PM
  • Hey Darin, I'm having the exact same issue on 3 different Acers... while I haven't had this issue on a single other brand of PC. Something fishy is going on here..

Any updates on this??
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 5:36 PM
  • I have tryed this and it dont work ever just so u know and just to clear up any confusion .... My issue is that VISTA is convinced that my key is INVALID and won't accept it (which implys that I have entered it incorrectly but I am 100% sure that the key I have entered is the same as shown on the COA).I check and enterd it over and over again and i get every time it  just says that it`s INVALID and its the rong key it ant let me put it in from the start.
    Sunday, March 28, 2010 10:20 PM
  • I don't know what Acer has pulled, but the licences on their machines ONLY work with their installation media. You can't pick up your Vista OEM disk and reinstall on any Acer PC.

Luckily you can get around it anyway as most have a built in recovery partition (Alt + f10 at post screen to access) to do the reinstall.

Very annoying thing for them to have done, as every other brand ships with a licence that will install with any media... Yet another reason to not waste money on Acers.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:16 AM
  • "serviceme" wrote in message news:f4b53f96-94a0-447c-bdf7-828a450ff97b...

I don't know what Acer has pulled, but the licences on their machines ONLY work with their installation media. You can't pick up your Vista OEM disk and reinstall on any Acer PC.

Luckily you can get around it anyway as most have a built in recovery partition (Alt + f10 at post screen to access) to do the reinstall.

Very annoying thing for them to have done, as every other brand ships with a licence that will install with any media... Yet another reason to not waste money on Acers.

The Key on the COA Label will work with any OEM System Builder disk.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 5:47 AM
  • Use the correct Acer recovery media with the Acer product key.  See:  Acer Recovery Media Purchase Program

Carey Frisch
    Wednesday, July 7, 2010 6:49 PM
  • It's all well and good to tell me to use the Acer media BUT under Microsoft licensing agreement ALL COA's should be valid for installation from ''normal'' installation media and NOT just the recovery media.

There are many valid reasons to want to install from ''normal standard'' media and these range from not wanting all the free junk provided during the recovery process, wanting to change some of the configuration during install and even lost or damaged media.

The COA number is supposed to be valid PERIOD, and in my opinion either the OEM or Microsoft should provide a VALID key if the COA comes back as INVALID - somebody somewhere must be LEGALLY responsible for ensuring that customers get what they pay for! This is not an activation issue because you can't even install using the COA KEY as it is rejected as INVALID.

Most of this thread does little or nothing to resolve the ACTUAL problem that I and other people are having and that is that the COA KEY provided on many ACER's will not allow you in install VISTA from standard dist media AND THE SHOULD ALLOW THAT.

I do not see why recovery media should be purchased when Microsoft states that OEM's MUST ENSURE THAT THE COA KEY IS VALID for the normal installtion process - this sounds like passing the buck back to ACER. Why don't Microsoft make ACER issue a valid key when a COA comes back as invalid?

Thanks
    Lee @ computaparts.co.uk

Sunday, July 11, 2010 6:51 AM
  • "serviceme" wrote in message news:f4b53f96-94a0-447c-bdf7-828a450ff97b...

I don't know what Acer has pulled, but the licences on their machines ONLY work with their installation media. You can't pick up your Vista OEM disk and reinstall on any Acer PC.

--

Noel, This is the problem being debated here. Some ACER COA keys come back as INVALID with ANY install media used (except the preactivated recovery media). You are right that the COA SHOULD work but trust me and the others here, some do not. 
    Sunday, July 11, 2010 7:01 AM
  • "Computaparts" wrote in message news:552ff4a8-9a76-4d8c-aed3-46a57f944de6...
    "serviceme" wrote in message news:f4b53f96-94a0-447c-bdf7-828a450ff97b...

--

Noel, This is the problem being debated here. Some ACER COA keys come back as INVALID with ANY install media used (except the preactivated recovery media). You are right that the COA SHOULD work but trust me and the others here, some do not. 

Acer COA keys DO work - if they are legit (I have one myself that works fine). The problem comes if the sticker is forged, or misread, or Retail media are used to install the OS while trying to use an OEM Key.
    What the problem may be is if the user is trying to install using a Recovery disk from another (different model) Acer - I can well imagine the install barfing at some point due to a clash of bits.

--

Sunday, July 11, 2010 11:49 AM
  • I have a customer gateway computer experiencing the same issue. Won't accept COA sticker key...
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:32 AM