none
Transferring Media Files to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm a newbie to both the WHS and to this forum.  I tried searching this site to see if this question has been answered before but I cannot seem to find any answers - so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I tried to copy my shared media files to my home server via the regular copy-paste function.  Because I have a lot of media files, the copy process ran for more than an hour.  When it got done, I noted that everything was copied correctly.  However, in each folder in the server, a new folder labeled ".tb" was added.  What is the purpose of this folder and is there a way to disable this?  I would like to have the ability to use a sync software to ensure that the media files in my main computer is sync'd up with the media files in the WHS but I'm afraid that running this software would also create .tb folders in my main computer.

Also, is there a better (i.e. faster) way to copy media files to the WHS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:57 AM

All replies

• Hi, I'm a newbie to both the WHS and to this forum.  I tried searching this site to see if this question has been answered before but I cannot seem to find any answers - so forgive me if this has been asked before.

I tried to copy my shared media files to my home server via the regular copy-paste function.  Because I have a lot of media files, the copy process ran for more than an hour.  When it got done, I noted that everything was copied correctly.  However, in each folder in the server, a new folder labeled ".tb" was added.  What is the purpose of this folder and is there a way to disable this? 

I don't know what it is, but I can tell you it's not normal (that doesn't happen on mine).  Is this a pre-built server (from HP, Acer, etc) or a DIY?  Have you installed any applications from the server desktop?
    I would like to have the ability to use a sync software to ensure that the media files in my main computer is sync'd up with the media files in the WHS but I'm afraid that running this software would also create .tb folders in my main computer.

Also, is there a better (i.e. faster) way to copy media files to the WHS?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 5:21 AM
  • Would you elaborate on the 'regular copy-paste' function?  Thanks, Al
    --
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 9:50 AM
  • Hi Kariya21, my WHS machine is a pre-built server from Acer.  I also connected an external drive to the Acer server via USB.  Could this be the reason why it adds the .tb folder?
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:43 AM
  • Hi Al, I basically just right click on the folder that I want to copy, click on <copy>, go to the server drive that I want to copy to, right-click, and click on <paste>.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Hi Kariya21, my WHS machine is a pre-built server from Acer.  I also connected an external drive to the Acer server via USB.  Could this be the reason why it adds the .tb folder?
    I don't see how.  Have you installed any add-ins (or applications from the server desktop)?
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I just checked - there are no installed add-ins.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 3:57 AM
  • I just checked - there are no installed add-ins.
    Have you installed any applications from the server desktop?
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:09 AM
  • No, other than the WHS software updates from MS.
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 4:23 AM
  • If you copy files from this Client PC to another drive or another computer do the folders appear.  I am wondering if you have a program on your client PC that is creating the folders.

Also if you copy a folder that is already on the server to a new folder on the server do these .tb folders get created?   Also can we get a screen shot of the explorer view with one of these .tb folders in place, also a properties (general) screen grab would be good too.

Also you might want to drop Acer a call as I don't have an Acer machine to see if this is normal or not.

--

Thursday, March 25, 2010 10:26 AM