Cloned drive will not backup. RRS feed

• Question

• Laptop drive was almost full so I cloned it to a larger drive, installed it, and now WHS will not back it up.  Another post answer here stated to reconfigure the backup for that computer.  I did that and it still will not backup.  Error message was:  An error occurred reading or writing from the computer's hard drive.

chkdsk /f /r did not fix the problem.  The drive shows no errors and it works OK.

Any ideas?

RT.

Saturday, May 28, 2011 6:15 PM

All replies

• If you used Acronis True Image, Ghost or something similar to clone the drive there's a fair chance this is causing your problem. WHS backup is using Microsoft vss (Volume Snapshots, Shadow copies) in order to backup only the changed clusters on disk. Acronis and other cloning programs often use their own snapshot provider which may interfere with Microsoft vss provider causing WHS backups to fail.

If you search these forums for vssadmin you will find many related threads. In most cases the solution is to find the vss providers causing the problem, then manually remove all entries referring to these providers from the registry. Example of this procedure is the answer in this thread.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, May 30, 2011 7:27 AM
  • If you used Acronis True Image, Ghost or something similar to clone the drive there's a fair chance this is causing your problem.

If you search these forums for vssadmin you will find many related threads. In most cases the solution is to find the vss providers causing the problem, then manually remove all entries referring to these providers from the registry. Example of this procedure is the answer in this thread.

Thanks brubber for the info.  It looks to me to be a VERY big problem to fix this.  Yes, it was Acronis for the clone.  I have found in the past when you claw around in the registry, you end up with more problems than you started with.  Looks like the only thing to do is remove this laptop from WHS and hope it never crashes.

Thanks again.

RT

Monday, May 30, 2011 9:56 PM
  • One option, instead of cloning, is to use the WHS back-up from the original drive to recover to the larger drive.  It may be too late in this case, but, for future reference.
    Monday, May 30, 2011 10:39 PM
  • One option, instead of cloning, is to use the WHS back-up from the original drive to recover to the larger drive.  It may be too late in this case, but, for future reference.

working1,

You have a good point.  I just may consider that option.  Since I still have the "old" drive, it can be placed back in that laptop, backed up, removed, replaced with the new and the restore done.

Good idea.  Thanks.

R.T.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 12:32 AM

working1,

You have a good point.  I just may consider that option.  Since I still have the "old" drive, it can be placed back in that laptop, backed up, removed, replaced with the new and the restore done.

Good idea.  Thanks.

R.T.

Since you still have the old drive I would try removing the problematic entries from the registry first. If it works it's quick solution. If it doesn't work you can still have the whs backup / restore.

Another solution which has also worked for some other users in the past is re-registering the relevant dll's.  This is certainly less of a risk then editing the registry, so best try this first.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:59 AM