CRM 4 - Move the database to a new server. RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for advice.

I have a a CRM 4 database server - Windows Server 2003 32 bit with SQL Server 2005 32 bit which is due to be decommissioned.  CRM is a single Organization so there are 2 databases.

I am looking to move this to a new server, Windows Server 2008 64 bit with SQL Server 2005 32 bit.

Can anyone advise on how best to do this?

Am I looking to backup and restore both databases (Config and Org), or just one?  Will the change to 64 bit create a problem?  Does CRM have built in functionality that I can use for the migration.

The web server will be staying put so presumably I just have to point it at the new SQL server?

Monday, October 4, 2010 8:24 AM

Answers

• Should say I found this:

http://kbalertz.com/952934/Microsoft-Dynamics-deployment.aspx

Would be good if someone has gone through the instructions and can confirm thare are no massive gotchas.

I have reproduced the steps below so you don't have to click the link (sorry the numbering has gone a bit mental):

1. Back up the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database and the MSCRM_Config database. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running SQL Server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
    3. Expand Databases, right-click the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database, point to Tasks, and then click Back Up.
    4. Under Destination, add the location to save the backup file, and then click OK.
    5. Repeat steps 1b and 1c for the MSCRM_Config database.

Note If you must move more than one organization, repeat steps 1a-1d for each organization database.

1. Restore the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database and the MSCRM_Config database on the new computer that is running SQL Server. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the new computer, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
    3. Right-click Databases, and then click Restore Database.
    4. Under Destination to restore, type the name of the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database in the To database box.
    5. Under Source for restore, click From device, click the ellipsis button (...), add the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database, and then click OK.
    6. Click to select the Restore check box, and then click OK.
    7. Repeat steps 2b-2e for the MSCRM_Config database.

Note If you must move more than one organization, repeat steps 2a-2f for each organization database.

1. Update the following registry subkeys on the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server:
    • configdb
    • database
    • metabase
    1. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM
    4. Right-click configdb, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, change the data source to the name of the new SQL Server, and then click OK. For example, the string value in the Value data box should resemble the following:
      Data Source=<var>NewSQLServer</var>;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Integrated Security=SSPI
    6. Follow steps 3b-3d for the database subkey and for the metabase subkey.

Notes

If multiple Microsoft Dynamics CRM Roles are in your deployment, you must update the registry keys for all the server roles.

If you use the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services and if you are not moving the SQL Server Reporting Services server, you must update the configdb subkey on the computer on which the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services is installed.

1. Configure the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Application to point to the new SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Dynamics CRM, and then click Deployment Manager.
    3. Click Organizations.
    4. Right-click the organization that you moved to the new computer that is running SQL Server, and then click Disable.
    5. Right-click the organization that you disabled, and then click Edit Organization.
    6. Type the new name of the SQL Server and the new URL for the SQL Server Reporting Services server.

Note This step publishes the reports that are in Microsoft Dynamics CRM to the new computer that is running SQL Server Reporting Services server that you specify.
    7. Click Next two times, and then click Apply.
    8. Right-click the organization that you disabled in step 4c, click Enable, and then click Yes.

1. If you are using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services and if you are moving to a new SQL Server Reporting Services server, you must install the data connector on the new computer that is running SQL Server Reporting Services.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 8:33 AM
  • The method you posted is the correct way to do this. You can restore a database from a 32bit server to a 64bit server without issues.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:10 AM

All replies

• Should say I found this:

http://kbalertz.com/952934/Microsoft-Dynamics-deployment.aspx

Would be good if someone has gone through the instructions and can confirm thare are no massive gotchas.

I have reproduced the steps below so you don't have to click the link (sorry the numbering has gone a bit mental):

1. Back up the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database and the MSCRM_Config database. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running SQL Server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
    3. Expand Databases, right-click the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database, point to Tasks, and then click Back Up.
    4. Under Destination, add the location to save the backup file, and then click OK.
    5. Repeat steps 1b and 1c for the MSCRM_Config database.

Note If you must move more than one organization, repeat steps 1a-1d for each organization database.

1. Restore the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database and the MSCRM_Config database on the new computer that is running SQL Server. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the new computer, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then click SQL Server Management Studio.
    3. Right-click Databases, and then click Restore Database.
    4. Under Destination to restore, type the name of the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database in the To database box.
    5. Under Source for restore, click From device, click the ellipsis button (...), add the <var>Organization</var>_MSCRM database, and then click OK.
    6. Click to select the Restore check box, and then click OK.
    7. Repeat steps 2b-2e for the MSCRM_Config database.

Note If you must move more than one organization, repeat steps 2a-2f for each organization database.

1. Update the following registry subkeys on the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server:
    • configdb
    • database
    • metabase
    1. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Locate the following registry subkey:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM
    4. Right-click configdb, and then click Modify.
    5. In the Value data box, change the data source to the name of the new SQL Server, and then click OK. For example, the string value in the Value data box should resemble the following:
      Data Source=<var>NewSQLServer</var>;Initial Catalog=MSCRM_CONFIG;Integrated Security=SSPI
    6. Follow steps 3b-3d for the database subkey and for the metabase subkey.

Notes

If multiple Microsoft Dynamics CRM Roles are in your deployment, you must update the registry keys for all the server roles.

If you use the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services and if you are not moving the SQL Server Reporting Services server, you must update the configdb subkey on the computer on which the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services is installed.

1. Configure the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Application to point to the new SQL Server and SQL Server Reporting Services. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. On the computer that is running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Dynamics CRM, and then click Deployment Manager.
    3. Click Organizations.
    4. Right-click the organization that you moved to the new computer that is running SQL Server, and then click Disable.
    5. Right-click the organization that you disabled, and then click Edit Organization.
    6. Type the new name of the SQL Server and the new URL for the SQL Server Reporting Services server.

Note This step publishes the reports that are in Microsoft Dynamics CRM to the new computer that is running SQL Server Reporting Services server that you specify.
    7. Click Next two times, and then click Apply.
    8. Right-click the organization that you disabled in step 4c, click Enable, and then click Yes.

1. If you are using the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Data Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services and if you are moving to a new SQL Server Reporting Services server, you must install the data connector on the new computer that is running SQL Server Reporting Services.
    Monday, October 4, 2010 8:33 AM
  • Just found out that SQL 2005 is also going from 32 to 64 bit.

Will this affect the backup and restore of the database?

Monday, October 4, 2010 8:57 AM
  • The method you posted is the correct way to do this. You can restore a database from a 32bit server to a 64bit server without issues.
    Neil - My CRM Blog
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:10 AM
  • 64 BIT SQL instances have been fine with CRM 4.0 for some time.

For the application server you want to make sure of getting the prerequisites down right on the the Win 2008 application server.

For instance , you have to run the file server role before you can get the Index service going.

If the server is a ESX virtual server be aware that some virtual NICS have issues with IPV6 and there are some updates for them.

Finally get used to the interface with IIS on Server 2008.  It's "A BIT DIFFERENT".

/:>

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Monday, October 4, 2010 11:34 AM
  • I followed these steps however when I fire up the MS CRM - I am receiving a SQL Exception stating that the Log is Full. I confirmed that the log is not full. Shouldn't there be some permission issues that needs to be resolved. The Deployment Manager ran without any issues pointing to the new server.
    Friday, July 27, 2012 9:35 PM
  • thanks for this useful information Gordon. I have a question here:

What should be done for hotfixes that have already been applied on the Old database? Do we Apply the same hotfixes again after Organization Import or before Organization ImpORt or some other way?

Arun Malik

• Edited by Arun Malik Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:33 PM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:24 PM
  • I would say the more painless option would be to apply the same or newer hotfixes to your fresh server and then attempt the import.

Safest would be to use the same hotfix but I would have thought that the import routine would handle older databases as well.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:40 PM
  • thanks for the quick reply. So in that case i shall be applying the hotfixes on an installation without any Organization database created as yet. Is that right, Gordon?

Arun Malik

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 12:42 PM
  • I would say so.

You'll have the initial CRM Organization which is added during the install and you can use that to test the success of your updates I suppose.

Once you have restored your migrated org can get rid of the initial org or keep it for development.

G

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:09 PM
  • Do the steps provided in http://kbalertz.com/952934/Microsoft-Dynamics-deployment.aspx (basically taking database backup from source server and restoring at the target server and importing the organization) take care of the client extensions and asp.net applications extensions as well while moving from one server to another?

If not, how can the client extensions and asp.net extensions be moved to new hardware?

Arun Malik

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 7:13 PM
  • You would have to test them all.

As I recall you have the option of storing plugins within the database or on disc.

Anything on disc would need to be copied by hand including custom web sites.

Been using CRM 2011 for a while now and that tends to be entirely database based so apologies if my memory is not so good.

I would amake a list of the extensions and determine where they are.  Customizations will be fine but as I say, custom web pages, plugins and custom workflows need to be looked at.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 10:28 AM
  • Quick question on this..

Does anyone know what are likely to be the implications if someone has completed the first half of this process, but not the second? Ie the DB restore to a separate server and registry modifications have taken place, but the editing of the organization has not been completed?

I seem to be in this situation. It looks as though there are 2 active DBs at the moment.

Thanks,

Brad

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:56 AM