new user must be granted the "allow log on through terminal services right ....." RRS feed

• Question

• I have added a new user to WHS, given full permission, however ....

when I attempt to log on using remote desktop connection w/ that userid, I get a "logon message" as follows ->> "to log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through terminal services right.  By default, members of the remote desktop users group have this right.  If you are not a ..........."

What do I need to do to allow this newly created userid to log in w. remote desktop connection?

Ken Warren - I saw your input = Annie, you can only connect to Windows Home Server using the Administrator account and password. You can't use any other user for Remote Desktop access to the server, or for the console.

If that is correct, then why do we create user accounts??  From a layman's point of view, that doesn't make sense.

I answered this question, after more research -  need to add "administrators" group under member of.

Now... how do I set this question to answered?????

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:15 PM

All replies

• I have added a new user to WHS, given full permission, however ....

when I attempt to log on using remote desktop connection w/ that userid, I get a "logon message" as follows ->> "to log on to this remote computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through terminal services right.  By default, members of the remote desktop users group have this right.  If you are not a ..........."

What do I need to do to allow this newly created userid to log in w. remote desktop connection?

Ken Warren - I saw your input = Annie, you can only connect to Windows Home Server using the Administrator account and password. You can't use any other user for Remote Desktop access to the server, or for the console.

If that is correct, then why do we create user accounts??  From a layman's point of view, that doesn't make sense. 

Yes, it does make sense.  You create user accounts for users to be able to open the shares and logon through the Remote Access website (not for logging into the server desktop, which is unsupported).  Without them, no one can use anything.

I answered this question, after more research -  need to add "administrators" group under member of.

Adding any user to the Administrators group blocks that user from accessing the Remote Access website at all.  You should remove all users (except Administrator) from the Administrators group and only log in to the server desktop with Administrator (and only do that when necessary as it's unsupported).

Now... how do I set this question to answered?????

Sunday, July 25, 2010 6:58 PM