MS Dynamics 2011 Connection to other non-CRMDatabase RRS feed

• Question

• Hi CRM Support,

I would like to know if CRM entities whether out-of-the-box or customized(manually created) is capable of getting information/records from another database not created by CRM. Example from another sql server database or from HP Vertica to be specific.

Hope you could help me on this, we are planning to migrate other modules to our CRM but only the UI will be used, the backend will be a different database.

Thank you in advance for any response.

Regards,

Honey

Wednesday, June 4, 2014 10:41 AM

Answers

• I'm not understanding your comment

"migrate other modules to our CRM but only the UI will be used, the backend will be a different database

Are you implying that a different database will provide the schema and values for your CRM Organisation ?

Thats not possible the CRM Application Platform utilises two databases, the OrganisationName_MSCRM and the MSCRM_Config database. These database's hold the schema that defines your CRM Organisation and the values entered within the CRM Forms.

You can not use another database to replace these two databases.

• Marked as answer by Honey Dulatre Friday, June 27, 2014 8:34 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:58 AM
  • Hi,

If you need to expose CRM to your users and also make sure the data from your non CRM database is available to them; you can use some sort of connector so your CRM acts as a mirror database. Scribe might be of help here. But it's too much of a hassle unless it's really needed.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would appreciate any advise for this. I hope you could give me feedback.

Thanks and regards,

Honey

Thursday, June 5, 2014 2:25 AM
  • I'm not understanding your comment

"migrate other modules to our CRM but only the UI will be used, the backend will be a different database

Are you implying that a different database will provide the schema and values for your CRM Organisation ?

Thats not possible the CRM Application Platform utilises two databases, the OrganisationName_MSCRM and the MSCRM_Config database. These database's hold the schema that defines your CRM Organisation and the values entered within the CRM Forms.

You can not use another database to replace these two databases.

• Marked as answer by Honey Dulatre Friday, June 27, 2014 8:34 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:58 AM
  • Yes you are correct, we'll input the records through CRM forms but have to save it to other database which is not a CRM database. Thank you for confirming that it would not be possible.

God bless.

Thank you and regards,

Honey

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:22 AM
  • If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi,

If you need to expose CRM to your users and also make sure the data from your non CRM database is available to them; you can use some sort of connector so your CRM acts as a mirror database. Scribe might be of help here. But it's too much of a hassle unless it's really needed.

Admin QuikView Solution for CRM 2013

Thursday, June 5, 2014 5:55 AM