Samsung Printer when using WHS remotely RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello All,

My wife works for a small accounting company that uses a WHS. When home, she can connect remotely using her Dell laptop running XP-service pack 3. She can access all files, etc just fine. Here's the problem- she cannot print using her local (non-networked) Samsung ML2510 laser printer. The printer is connected via a USB hub to the laptop and works fine outside of the WHS enviornment. The guy (a friend) that set up the WHS for them at the office has stated that the problem  is that the Samsung is not compatible with WHS and has suggested that we buy a new printer. As the printer is only 6 months old, this sounds inaccurate to me.
    Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:37 PM not a WHS hardware or installation issue (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

• SidVance said:

Excellent questions...

Ken-
    She connects via the web to a remote desktop on the same network as the WHS. (She logs into the WHS via the internet then selects her Work Computer desktop.)

Lara-
    1. She receives no error. When she attempts to print, she is give the option of printing to networked printers at the office. Her "local" printer that is plugged into her laptop is not an option. It may be important to note that she can print to one of the network printers at the office just fine from home (using her laptop).

In order to do this she will need to install the printer driver for the local Samsung printer on her office PC. Then she should have the option to print to it. Without that driver, the office PC doesn't know anything about the Samsung printer and can't print to it. I will warn you that printing in this fashion is probably going to be pretty slow.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:51 PM

All replies

• How exactly is she connecting to her office and the WHS computer? Remote Access web site? Remote Desktop to a computer on the same network as the WHS computer? VPN to the remote network, then accessing file shares on the server? Something else?

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 3:31 PM
  • SidVance said:

Hello All,

My wife works for a small accounting company that uses a WHS. When home, she can connect remotely using her Dell laptop running XP-service pack 3. She can access all files, etc just fine. Here's the problem- she cannot print using her local (non-networked) Samsung ML2510 laser printer. The printer is connected via a USB hub to the laptop and works fine outside of the WHS enviornment. The guy (a friend) that set up the WHS for them at the office has stated that the problem  is that the Samsung is not compatible with WHS and has suggested that we buy a new printer. As the printer is only 6 months old, this sounds inaccurate to me.
    Thoughts?

Thanks!

In addition to Ken's questions:

1. What is the error she receives when she tries to print and how exactly is she printing?
    2. Which machine? The Windows Home Server? The XPSP3 client? Another machine (i.e. TS into her desktop at work)?
    3. Are there any other devices on the hub?
    4. Do they work when she connects remotely?
    5. Can she print to a network printer at work?

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:45 PM
  • Excellent questions...

Ken-
    She connects via the web to a remote desktop on the same network as the WHS. (She logs into the WHS via the internet then selects her Work Computer desktop.)

Lara-
    1. She receives no error. When she attempts to print, she is give the option of printing to networked printers at the office. Her "local" printer that is plugged into her laptop is not an option. It may be important to note that she can print to one of the network printers at the office just fine from home (using her laptop).
    2. She has a keypad and wireless mouse plugged into the same USB hub as the printer. They all function fine while connected to the WHS via the website.

She wants to be able to access her office desktop and print from home. This is tax season in the accounting wrld and I believe those in the profession could work 24 hours a day! Being able to work from home would give her some flexibility.

Thanks again for your help!!!
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:00 PM
  • SidVance said:

Excellent questions...

Ken-

Lara-

In order to do this she will need to install the printer driver for the local Samsung printer on her office PC. Then she should have the option to print to it. Without that driver, the office PC doesn't know anything about the Samsung printer and can't print to it. I will warn you that printing in this fashion is probably going to be pretty slow.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009 7:51 PM
  •  Ken,

Again thanks for your assistance. And thanks for all you do in keeping the board in order!

It makes sense that her home printer driver will need to be loaded on the computer at the office. Excuse my dense moment but how will the office computer know to route the print job to her home printer? When loading the driver on the office , should the home printer be set up as a network printer? If so, where should it be installed (as i recall, the printer installation process asks for the location of the new printer- LPT1, COM1, etc.)

Again, thanks for your help!!
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Hi,
    this is one of the features or Remote Desktop, to redirect local  resources to the Remote Desktop Session. After starting the Remote Desktop Client, before connecting, click Options and the Local Resources tab (the exact location may vary dependend from the client OS). Here you see, which local resources you can forward. This includes printers and local ports.
    The port, to which you install the printer, should not play a role, since this will be redirected anyway, so you can select, what ever you prefer. The driver is the important part. If available, do not use a fully fletched driver with print monitor and whatever, which wants always be in communication with the printer (those often will not even install, if the printer is not physically connected), but only a basic driver.
    (Besides that note, that not each printer may be capable for this method of connection, so there is no guarantee, that this will always work.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Olaf, the Remote Desktop connection established through the Windows Home Server Remote Access web site doesn't offer the option of changing "Local Resources" settings. I believe, however, that remote printing is enabled automatically.
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 12:46 PM