3rd party apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Can somebody tell me whether you can run 3rd party apps on ther server?

Thanks

RM

Friday, September 7, 2007 8:47 PM

Answers

• Yes, if they will run on Windows Server 2003. Be carefull though, you have limited space on the system partition, and some apps may interfere with WHS, which is built on top of Server 2003.

Friday, September 7, 2007 8:53 PM
  • You can install and run just about any software that will run on Windows Server 2003. That's the operating system that Windows Home Server is built on.

However, in order to manage multiple drives as a single pool of disk space for your "digital stuff" WHS requires an unusual level of control over the hardware and file systems. You should be careful not to install too much software, as the system partition is only 20 GB in size and can't be resized (or at least resizing isn't supported, so you'll be on your own if you try). In addition, you should be careful to access the shared folders only via the network shares, even in software that you may install.

Finally, you should be aware that WHS is designed to be used as a headless appliance on your network. It's not designed to be used as a desktop workstation with people logging in to the console directly. (The OEM hardware units from manufacturers like HP won't even have keyboard, video, or mouse ports.) Software that requires a user to be logged in to operate correctly will probably not work in this environment.
    Friday, September 7, 2007 9:13 PM

All replies

• Yes, if they will run on Windows Server 2003. Be carefull though, you have limited space on the system partition, and some apps may interfere with WHS, which is built on top of Server 2003.

Friday, September 7, 2007 8:53 PM
  • You can install and run just about any software that will run on Windows Server 2003. That's the operating system that Windows Home Server is built on.

However, in order to manage multiple drives as a single pool of disk space for your "digital stuff" WHS requires an unusual level of control over the hardware and file systems. You should be careful not to install too much software, as the system partition is only 20 GB in size and can't be resized (or at least resizing isn't supported, so you'll be on your own if you try). In addition, you should be careful to access the shared folders only via the network shares, even in software that you may install.

Finally, you should be aware that WHS is designed to be used as a headless appliance on your network. It's not designed to be used as a desktop workstation with people logging in to the console directly. (The OEM hardware units from manufacturers like HP won't even have keyboard, video, or mouse ports.) Software that requires a user to be logged in to operate correctly will probably not work in this environment.
    Friday, September 7, 2007 9:13 PM
  •  

WHS seems perfect for my needs.  I feel that Small Buisness Server 2003 is major over kill for me.  WHS might be perfect. 

The only thing I am fuzzy on is my filemaker databases.  They are VERRY small, 50mb each.  But I need to be able to install and run filemaker on WHS.  Is this going to be possible? 

Will remote people be able to login to WHS?  What will this require? Opening ports? VPN? what... all way over my head ... and why I hope WHS will fix my issues for me! Smile

Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:18 PM
  • just subscribing under my other account, silly .net

Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:21 PM
  •  

Hi

If Filemaker will run on Windows 2003 then it should run, but be warned that certain apps may break WHS, so you might want to test it first!

As for your remote access question, the simple answer is yes, they will. If you work through the various Remote Access wizards int the WHS console pretty much everything will be done for you. If your router does not support UPnP then you will have to open 3 ports on the router / firewall for port forwarding to your WHS.

Remote users will then only need the URL to your WHS, which will be SOMETHING.homeserver.com where the something is created by you during the enabling process.

Shout if you have any other questions.

all the best

Andrew

Thursday, September 20, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

can you send me to some sort of WHS online walkthrough / tutorial of installing such a program on it?  I cant find one and every reply I get from 'experts' is that WHS should do it.  I just want to see a walkthrough of the process.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:24 AM