Backing up crm with daily full-backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I read about how to make backups from crm but didn't really understood what I should do.

As I will not be able to deal with it until the 3 next weeks, I'm wondering if making a full backup of 'deploymentname_MSCRM' database could be enough to perform a restore on another crm 2013 server in case of a disaster recovery?

If I restore a full backup of this database (with encryption key on another crm 2013 server), I will get same as our live system -1 day of data loss?

I'm totally lost on this point and have to find a temporary solution for it.

Thank you

Friday, May 9, 2014 6:49 AM

All replies

• The CRM database is exactly like any other SQL database, so that should be the grounding of all your efforts around backing up the CRM database.

That said, the 'deploymentname_MSCRM' database is all you need.  As long as you have an empty CRM instance on another server, you can restore the database backup and be up and running with data as of that backup time.  So yes, the same as your live system minus that day's data.

You can also cluster your SQL servers on the back end so even if you lose one server, you don't lose that day's data.  In fact, you should do this for failover, high availabity, and better performance.

Also, don't lose your encryption keys. CRM 2013 needs its encryption keys, so make sure you have them.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Friday, May 9, 2014 3:22 PM