Getting a wireless connection to work on the WHS machine - Help! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Are there any known hacks for getting WHS software to work on a laptop computer with a wireless connection?  As fate would have it, I bought a new laptop, erased the entire hard drive and the OS when I installed WHS, and only later found out that I can't use a wireless connected on my server machine. 

I have not even been able to install the driver for the wireless card on the laptop. 

I would love to know if there are any known hacks for getting this to work.  I'm willing to take a hit to security to get this functionality. 

Thanks!
    Mary
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    did you try to right click the setup program, select Properties and on the compatibility tab Windows XP (while you provide XP drivers), before running the installation program?

Before going on, you should be aware of following:
    One of the specifications of Windows Home Server is, that Wireless connections are not supported. This has to do with the necessary reliability and bandwidth, which a wireless connection usually cannot provide.
    Using a server OS on a laptop is also unsupported by both sides - the maker of the laptop as well as Microsoft. The components on a laptop are not designed to run under load all the time. Drivers working in Windows Server 2003 will be even harder to accquire than for a normal consumer PC. Also main functionalities of WHS like folder duplication are hard to realize with only a slow laptop disk built in. (External disks are not always reliable in the storage pool.)

So installations of Windows Home Server beyond testing should not be done on a laptop.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:43 AM
  • Here's one.  I searched around first but didn't get many hits on wireless server, etc.
    With the new Atom based micro-itx boards out there, I'm going to build a micro-itx desktop server to replace my old Dell Dimension WHS.  Then I got thinking...Zotac makes boards that ship with "n" wi-fi on a PCIe slot.  Would I be able to install WHS and use wi-fi as the server's connection to my "n" router?
    I understand about speed and all but I can connect my laptop to the router at faster speeds than when I started out on the Dell using 100baseT.  And in the event of a system restore I could always plug the server into the router's ethernet connection, if need be.  But this way, I could literally put the server in a closet with nothing but a power cord running to it.
    So the question, really, is can it be done.

I hope I didn't jump into this thread with a question that has already been answered a thousand times.  Like I said, I did search around first.

Tom
    Saturday, September 5, 2009 9:46 PM
  • Yes, it's possible to connect your server to your home network wirelessly. Wireless connections for your server are not supported, because they are not sufficiently reliable and don't offer the level of network performance generally required, but they can be used.

You may, however, find it difficult to find reliable drivers, and you may find that the wireless connection makes it difficult to do certain things (backups will take a long time, for example). If you're going to have a single computer in your home connected to your network with a cable, it should be your server...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 4:13 AM
  • I think you answered my question exactly.  Thank you!

I'm not sure if I follow your last sentence.... I have several computers at home (in various states of whether backup is enabled or not) connected to the server.  My main desktop is the real one I need backed up regularly.  Once the initial backup was done, nightly backups only take four or five minutes.

As for the wireless connection.  It's not my primary goal to do it wirelessly; I'll probably run an ethernet cable to the location I had in mind anyway.  I was just pre-planning to see if it even could be done.  Provided I can find wifi card drivers that will install (and work), it sounds like I won't get a "no-go" message in WHS (like trying to install to a hard drive less than 70GB, etc.).  I just might give it a try and see what happens.  If no wifi drivers work, there's always the next version of Windows Home Server codename Vail in the wings which should address wifi in one way or another.

Thanks again.
    Tom
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 5:49 AM
    If no wifi drivers work, there's always the next version of Windows Home Server codename Vail in the wings which should address wifi in one way or another.
    You should not expect this requirement (wired connection to the network for the server) to change in Vail. Home wireless networks are just not reliable enough, and don't offer sufficient performance, for a good user experience overall. The question of drivers is a separate one.

My point in my last sentence was that if your router is a wireless one, and has only a single wired LAN port (plus the port for your internet connection) your server is the most important computer to connect to that port. Better is to have all devices connected via wired connections, of course.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by barryknowd Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by barryknowd Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:50 PM
    Sunday, September 6, 2009 2:21 PM