none
Large File Copy to WHS slows down WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I just set up my WHS System with an OEM License, installed all power packs and lights off add on. Ver shows: 5.2.3790. Control runs via Server Console and UltaVNC.

Disk system is a four disk raid 5 based on a 3ware 9500S-8, driver version 3.00.01.084, resulting in 1.4TB of usable disk. Mainboard is a ASUS p5K Pro with 4GB of memory and an Intel 2.4GHz DualCode.

Transferring files over lan to the server yields 25MBytes/sec for the first 1.3 GBytes then WHS drops down to 1MB/Sec. On files smaller than about 1.3GB the transfer runs smoothly. The same behaviour applies if a USB drive is directly attached to the server and the file is copied using the servers own desktop/explorer. CPU remains low all the time.

Copying a 100GB file, yes I have two such files, yields a server unreachable message after four hours. On the same hardware a standard 32bit WinXP Pro was acting as my old home server. Unlike WHS XP never had problems handling large files.

DriveGLEAM shows high partition activity for C and then at the end of the copy process short write activity for D if a reasonably small file is copied. As soon as a large file is copied the C partition shows most activity and the D partition does hardly anything. An 8GB file needs 2 hours intead of a few minutes. Does WHS buffers in C an then moves to D?

I really like to use the extra feature of WHS, but the large file handling is a real problem. I am building systems since 25years, and I was never as lost as here with narrowing down the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help

- Buchwurm

Sunday, March 28, 2010 8:59 PM

Answers

• Hello

I just set up my WHS System with an OEM License, installed all power packs and lights off add on. Ver shows: 5.2.3790. Control runs via Server Console and UltaVNC.

Disk system is a four disk raid 5 based on a 3ware 9500S-8, driver version 3.00.01.084, resulting in 1.4TB of usable disk. Mainboard is a ASUS p5K Pro with 4GB of memory and an Intel 2.4GHz DualCode.

Transferring files over lan to the server yields 25MBytes/sec for the first 1.3 GBytes then WHS drops down to 1MB/Sec. On files smaller than about 1.3GB the transfer runs smoothly. The same behaviour applies if a USB drive is directly attached to the server and the file is copied using the servers own desktop/explorer. CPU remains low all the time.

Copying a 100GB file, yes I have two such files, yields a server unreachable message after four hours. On the same hardware a standard 32bit WinXP Pro was acting as my old home server. Unlike WHS XP never had problems handling large files.

DriveGLEAM shows high partition activity for C and then at the end of the copy process short write activity for D if a reasonably small file is copied. As soon as a large file is copied the C partition shows most activity and the D partition does hardly anything. An 8GB file needs 2 hours intead of a few minutes. Does WHS buffers in C an then moves to D?

I really like to use the extra feature of WHS, but the large file handling is a real problem. I am building systems since 25years, and I was never as lost as here with narrowing down the cause of the problem.

Thanks for your help

- Buchwurm 

You might start by getting rid of the unsupported stuff you've done (installing Ultra VNC and setting up a RAID array).  Also, have you checked to see if you have updated NIC drivers for the server?  What OS version of NIC driver did you use?  Are you using the on-board NIC?  Which company designed it (RealTek, Atheros, etc.)?
    • Marked as answer by buchwurm Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:36 PM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Remote Desktop is what you need instead of VNC - I'm surprised with 25 years under your belt you've not come across it before.

By the way running two NICs on Windows Home Server is not a supported configuration - try disabling one of them, this may cure the networking problem.

--
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hello

Thanks for your help

- Buchwurm 

You might start by getting rid of the unsupported stuff you've done (installing Ultra VNC and setting up a RAID array).  Also, have you checked to see if you have updated NIC drivers for the server?  What OS version of NIC driver did you use?  Are you using the on-board NIC?  Which company designed it (RealTek, Atheros, etc.)?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Hi Kariya21

Thanks for the prompt reply. Well add to it hMail server.

The fact that the direct attached USB drive file copy acts exactly like the copy over LAN doesn't really point to the NIC drivers. It's marvel yukon 88E8052 Gigabit Ethernert controller. The P5K Pro has two of them. I use the XP/Win2003 drivers.

I will set up the whole server as asked, how do I preserve the activation key? If I may not use the UltraVNC then what does the WHS offer? I don't like to attach a monitor and keyboard to the system in the cellar.

- Buchwurm

Monday, March 29, 2010 8:07 PM
  • Remote Desktop is what you need instead of VNC - I'm surprised with 25 years under your belt you've not come across it before.

By the way running two NICs on Windows Home Server is not a supported configuration - try disabling one of them, this may cure the networking problem.

--
    Monday, March 29, 2010 8:34 PM
  • Hi Al West, thank you for your answer. UltraVNC was/is a clever remote access tool, also over the internet as it has a cyphering ability. I tried RemoteDesktop from XP to WHS and it works well. Over Easter I will dismantle the Server and reinstall WHS as suggested. But before I will verify the hardware with an Ubuntu server test installation. I'll keep you informed.

- Buchwurm

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:35 PM