none
Visual Studio has another new version every 2 or 3 years, how would the certification be valuable? RRS feed

• Question

• It takes 4 exams to get MCPD, and very likely after 2 or 3 years from now then another Visual Studio comes out, MCPD of Visual Studio 2010 becomes expired one and there may be new title instead of using MCPD. I see there are cases that people just finish 1 or 2 certs then new version come out and then they need to start over and take all exams again.
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Lady Carol,

I think that 2 years are quite a long time to get the certification. And as soon as you have the MCPD, you can upgrade it with just 1 or 2 exams.

And even if you do not finish the MCPD (which you can still do. Even that Visual Studio 2010 came out, you could finish the MCPD on version 2008!), you can show people, that you care about them. So you get MCTS titles.

And of course: this shows directly, how much effort you spend on latest technologies. I don't think that 5 exams in 2 years is that hard to do. That is just 2 exams per year.

And I see another point: If it would be to simple: Everyone would have the certification. Then you no longer need them, because why spend 1$ on something that is worth nothing?

And there are people, who are MCPD. So it is possible :)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:09 AM
    Answerer
  • To earn an MCPD for .NET 4/VS2010 does require four exams.  But if you have already earned a prior MCPD certification you have the opportunity of taking upgrade exams rather than taking each individual exam.

If earning and maintaining certifications is a requirement of employment I would push the employer to support time for learning and even ask for the opportunity to take classes and/or attend conferences to support your learning.

If the desire for certification is personal you still may be able to get support from an employer, but even without that support, if the certificaiton is related to work that you do it should not require too much effort to review the certification requirements and prepare for an exam every few months.  To me this shows a level of professionalism and care for a career which I certainly look favorably on when interviewing candidates for employment.

Certainly earning and maintaining a certification takes effort, as Konrad has said if it didn't then the certification would not be worth very much as anyone and everyone could easily have the certification.  To me it is a personal thing - there are other ways to demonstrate passion for your career, but I feel like it is always important to show this passion and particularly in the current economic environment  If you feel that certification is not the right path for you then I would suggest that you find another way to pursue growth in your profession and be sure that it is demonstrable to others - it will pay off!

Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:03 PM

All replies

• There are 

Visual Studio 97

Visual Studio 6.0 (1998)

Visual Studio .NET (2002)

Visual Studio .NET 2003

Visual Studio 2005

Visual Studio 2008

Visual Studio 2010

How could any human keep taking update exams or even getting the title before the next generation come out? It doesn't even make any sense.

Saturday, January 1, 2011 3:56 PM
  • Hi Lady Carol,

I think that 2 years are quite a long time to get the certification. And as soon as you have the MCPD, you can upgrade it with just 1 or 2 exams.

And even if you do not finish the MCPD (which you can still do. Even that Visual Studio 2010 came out, you could finish the MCPD on version 2008!), you can show people, that you care about them. So you get MCTS titles.

And of course: this shows directly, how much effort you spend on latest technologies. I don't think that 5 exams in 2 years is that hard to do. That is just 2 exams per year.

And I see another point: If it would be to simple: Everyone would have the certification. Then you no longer need them, because why spend 1$ on something that is worth nothing?

And there are people, who are MCPD. So it is possible :)

With kind regards,

Konrad

Sunday, January 2, 2011 5:09 AM
    Answerer
  • To earn an MCPD for .NET 4/VS2010 does require four exams.  But if you have already earned a prior MCPD certification you have the opportunity of taking upgrade exams rather than taking each individual exam.

If earning and maintaining certifications is a requirement of employment I would push the employer to support time for learning and even ask for the opportunity to take classes and/or attend conferences to support your learning.

If the desire for certification is personal you still may be able to get support from an employer, but even without that support, if the certificaiton is related to work that you do it should not require too much effort to review the certification requirements and prepare for an exam every few months.  To me this shows a level of professionalism and care for a career which I certainly look favorably on when interviewing candidates for employment.

Certainly earning and maintaining a certification takes effort, as Konrad has said if it didn't then the certification would not be worth very much as anyone and everyone could easily have the certification.  To me it is a personal thing - there are other ways to demonstrate passion for your career, but I feel like it is always important to show this passion and particularly in the current economic environment  If you feel that certification is not the right path for you then I would suggest that you find another way to pursue growth in your profession and be sure that it is demonstrable to others - it will pay off!

Saturday, January 8, 2011 5:03 PM
  • Becomes expired ??? Are you sure about that? Not sure that cert has any value if they expire it so quick. I know some VB programmers who still use 6 in a prod. Not sure they are too concerned with being certified. I guess if your company is paying you to take the exams you might as well. I can imagine the amount of studying it will take however. I know that part is extremely boriing. lol

Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:37 PM
  • some people are idiots and start studying for exams while the product is still in beta stages. look at some of the business card for shites sake, it's like WTF is wrong with these people?
    Saturday, January 8, 2011 11:39 PM
  • Hmm ... I cannot understand your point Damius.

Some people are interested in newest technology. They simply want to be prepared for the moment, when they might need it. I think this is a big difference between someone who just want to do his job (Ahh ... who cares about quality or if it could be done better!) and wo wants to be a really good developer. And maybe it is even possible to say, that these interested persons simply are the lucky guys that have fun at work. I made a hobby to my profession.

And if someone is interested in newest technology and also is interested in certification: Why not taking the beta exams? Instead of paying for an exam, I know enough other things where I could spend my money on e.g. taking my family to some nice dinners!

From the people I meet so far, I have to say that I had the best discussions with these interested people in the past. And maybe I missunderstood you a little but your opinion is more like the developers that I meet that don't even now simple basics and I had to teach them about logging possibilities of .Net Framework (No, for our logging we do not need any extra libraries that are ported from java to .Net!) or that are even unable to see the properties on settings inside the c# projects.

But of course: That is my personal opinion. Others might call me a nerd or something like that. But important in my eyes is:
    - I get a nice sallary
    - I have fun when doing my work (As long as I can develop software what is what I want to do!)

Just my 2 cent,

Konrad

Sunday, January 9, 2011 9:13 AM
    Answerer
  • Hmm ... I cannot understand your point Damius.

Some people are interested in newest technology. They simply want to be prepared for the moment, when they might need it. I think this is a big difference between someone who just want to do his job (Ahh ... who cares about quality or if it could be done better!) and wo wants to be a really good developer. And maybe it is even possible to say, that these interested persons simply are the lucky guys that have fun at work. I made a hobby to my profession.

And if someone is interested in newest technology and also is interested in certification: Why not taking the beta exams? Instead of paying for an exam, I know enough other things where I could spend my money on e.g. taking my family to some nice dinners!

From the people I meet so far, I have to say that I had the best discussions with these interested people in the past. And maybe I missunderstood you a little but your opinion is more like the developers that I meet that don't even now simple basics and I had to teach them about logging possibilities of .Net Framework (No, for our logging we do not need any extra libraries that are ported from java to .Net!) or that are even unable to see the properties on settings inside the c# projects.

But of course: That is my personal opinion. Others might call me a nerd or something like that. But important in my eyes is:
    - I get a nice sallary
    - I have fun when doing my work (As long as I can develop software what is what I want to do!)

Just my 2 cent,

Konrad

I just do not see the point in certifying in something that just got released. But if you have the time and money and you are getting money from your company in return for your certs then it's a win win situation. I have never worked for a company that valued certs or degrees too much. I wish they gave us more money for taking exams and getting certified, but that's just not the case.

Warm regards

Monday, January 10, 2011 8:32 PM
  • Hi Damius,

I fully understand that point. But that is a reason to attend to a beta exam: You do not have to pay for these. So i hope that I have my certifications for Visual Studio 2010 when the next version comes out. And with some hope, I can get some certificates directly. Each beta exam I pass is one voucher less I have to fight for (or pay myself).

But I can agree to your point now: If you are not paid to get the exams, it is worth to think twice if you want to do that. It takes time and money and if it is really worth it, is not really proven. I believe it, but I am quite sure, that you can be a top it person without any certification.

For me it is a hobby and people spend money on their hobbies.

But I understand you much better now. So thank you for the clarification.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, January 10, 2011 8:48 PM
    Answerer