none
Install of MS-MPI v6 fails with Error Code 1603 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to install MS-MPI v6 without success.  I am on a Windows 7, 64-bit machine and I have administrative privileges to install software.

Shortly after the install begins a window pops up that says "Microsoft MPI (6.012436.10) Setup Wizard ended prematurely"

Followed by another window that says "MS-MPI Installation failed with error code 1603"

I have read in this, and other forums, that this error arises when the Windows Firewall is disabled and that after enabling the firewall the SW package installs completely.  My problem is that my institutional IT policy forbids the use of the Windows Firewall we have our own.  Thus, there is no way to turn the Windows Firewall back on.  Is there a work around?

I have been unable to find the log file for the installation in: C:\Users\******\AppData\Local\Temp

Any help in getting this software to install is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Anthony

Sunday, October 25, 2015 2:25 PM

All replies

• Ok, figured out how to make the installer generate a log file and then NOT delete it after it chokes.  Found this - the only error in the log file:

MSI (s) (D0:78) [08:34:06:067]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=RemoveMpiexecFwRule,ActionType=3137,Source=BinaryData,Target=CAQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\SysWOW64\netsh.exe" advfirewall firewall delete rule name=MSMPI-MPIEXEC)
    MSI (s) (D0:D0) [08:34:06:069]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI43A9.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
    MSI (s) (D0:34) [08:34:06:070]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (D0:34) [08:34:06:071]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 9552 (0x2550).
    MSI (s) (D0:60) [08:34:06:131]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (D0:60) [08:34:06:132]: Hello, I'm your 32bit Elevated Non-remapped custom action server.
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  An error occurred while attempting to contact the  Windows Firewall service. Make sure that the service is running and try your request again.
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070001: CAQuietExec Failed
    CustomAction RemoveMpiexecFwRule returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking
    MSI (s) (D0:78) [08:34:06:407]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=RemoveSmpdFwRule,,)
    MSI (s) (D0:78) [08:34:06:408]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=RemoveSmpdFwRule,ActionType=3137,Source=BinaryData,Target=CAQuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\SysWOW64\netsh.exe" advfirewall firewall delete rule name=MSMPI-SMPD)
    MSI (s) (D0:E0) [08:34:06:410]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI44F2.tmp, Entrypoint: CAQuietExec
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  An error occurred while attempting to contact the  Windows Firewall service. Make sure that the service is running and try your request again.
    CAQuietExec:  
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070001: Command line returned an error.
    CAQuietExec:  Error 0x80070001: CAQuietExec Failed
    CustomAction RemoveSmpdFwRule returned actual error code 1603 but will be translated to success due to continue marking

Seems the Windows Firewall is the issue.

Please HELP!

Sunday, October 25, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Hi there,

I believed you have contacted us through our external mailing list (askmpi@Microsoft.com). I have posted a reply to your email but I'll also include it here for reference since others might be running into the same issue:

We’re investigating the issue for a possible fix in our upcoming release. In the meantime here’s a workaround that will help you get the necessary MS-MPI binaries

From an admin cmd shell windows, run the following command

MSMpiSetup -force -temp C:\tmp

When the dialog box opens, click next to read the End User License Agreement. At this point do not continue with the installation, but keep the installation diaglog opened. In C:\tmp you should find a GUID like temporary directory that looks similar to this

C:\tmp\e32ec0a0-afd5-4122-920c-0457ae536c64

Within the directory there will be an mpi_x64.msi or mpi_x86.msi, depending whether you are installing MS-MPI on a Windows 32 bit or Windows 64 bit system. Copy the msi to a temporary directory to save it (because when you cancel setup, the temporary directory will be deleted).

After you have saved the mpi_x64 (or mpi_x86) msi you can abort the installation.

Next, you will perform an administrative install of the msi by running the following command which basically unpacks the package into the directory specified by TARGETDIR

msiexec /a mpi_x64.msi TARGETDIR=C:\tmp\ /qn /l*v admin_install.log

After this step you will see a directory called PFiles being extracted to C:\tmp. Under the PFiles directory there will be the following directories:

Microsoft MPI: the Bin folder under this directory should have mpiexec.exe and smpd.exe, you can put these under any directory of your choice

System, this folder has msmpi.dll and msmpires.dll , which should be copied to C:\windows\syswow64

System64, this folder has msmpi.dll and msmpires.dll, which should be copied to c:\windows\system32

Let us know if you run into issues with the above steps. In the mean time we’ll be working on a solution for this issue.

Thanks

Anh

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:47 AM
  • Dear Anh,
    Thank you so much!  It worked exactly as you said, but I do have one question about where the System folders go.

You wrote:

System, this folder has msmpi.dll and msmpires.dll , which should be copied to C:\windows\syswow64
    System64, this folder has msmpi.dll and msmpires.dll, which should be copied to c:\windows\system32

Are you sure it's not the other way around?
    System in the system32 folder and System64 in the syswow64 folder?

Anthony
    Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:54 AM
  • Hi Anthony,

Glad it is working out for you. And it should be exactly as I described (you can verify by checking the size of msmpi.dll - the 64 bit msmpi.dll should be larger in size than the 32 bit msmpi.dll). The system64 folder goes to system32 and system goes to SysWow64. Yes, I know it's a bit confusing, most likely due to the fact that the name syswow64 makes one think that it's a directory where 64 bit dlls go, but it's actually a directory containing 32 bits dll. Some more information about WoW64 can be found here

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384249(v=vs.85).aspx

Let me know if you would be interested in testing out a private build that contains a fix for your environment (where firewalls are completely disabled).

Thanks

Anh

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 4:57 AM
  • Dear Anh,

I have been out of town since you solved my installation problem and have not had a chance to try using MS-MPI until today.

When I first tried to start a program I got the following:

So I searched the "Windows" folder and subfolders and found two files: fmpich2.dll and fmpich2g.dll but only in the System32 folder.

I copied the two files and placed them in the SysWOW64 folder and re-ran the program and got this:

Which, as you probably know, indicates a mismatch between 64-bit and 32-bit dlls.

So it seems that maybe the installation didn't quite work?  Can you help me with this too?

Thanks,

Anthony

Sunday, November 8, 2015 2:16 PM
  • Hi Anthony,

Looking at the error it seems like your program was compiled with MPICH/MPICH2 MPI and not MS-MPI. MS-MPI programs do not have dependency on fmpich2.dll. How did you compile your program?

Anh

Thursday, November 12, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Hi Anh,

I did not compile the program, it came pre-compiled and after looking into it, yes indeed, it was compiled using MPICH2.

My mistake and I apologize for wasting your time on this.

Regards,

Anthony

Saturday, November 14, 2015 1:36 PM