WHS & Xbox 360 MPG Support RRS feed

• Question

•  

The documentation on WHS clearly states it can act as a media server for Xbox 360 and that .MPG files are supported to be streamed within the Media tab of the dashboard on 360.  This is one of the reasons I purchased the WHS, but I can't get the MPG files to show up under the dashboard Video folders.  After hours of troubleshooting and research it appears MPG files are only supported if you use the Media Extender features of Xbox 360 which requires an additional PC running Windows Media Center (such as Vista).  If this is really the case then this is really frustrating and may even be false advertising and illegal based on both the marketing literature and users guide provided with my HP WHS.  The files are being decoded on Xbox 360 and served by WHS so I do not understand why we need Vista in the middle.  Can anyone help?  I've got media sharing enabled on WHS, Guest account is enabled... I can see the folders on my WHS just not the MPG files...   if I rename the files to .AVI extension they show up but won't play (nor would I expect them to).  WTF ??
    Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:09 AM

Answers

•  

First thing first, try other types of media to start to problem solve. Divx and Xvid are a good place to start.

The majority of people are using a program to supplement the system called Tversity. I am sure you will be very happy with it.

www.tversity.com

Dawg.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:51 AM

All replies

•  

First thing first, try other types of media to start to problem solve. Divx and Xvid are a good place to start.

The majority of people are using a program to supplement the system called Tversity. I am sure you will be very happy with it.

www.tversity.com

Dawg.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 3:51 AM
  • I will try Divx and AVI.. but in terms of TVersity.... I don't want a third component (pc) in the mix... this is supposed to work directly between WHS and Xbox 360.  Can anyone confirm they have been able to see and play mpg files using just the dashboard media blade and WHS ?

-

Saturday, December 29, 2007 8:01 AM
  •  

I have hundreds of movies on whs whic i can watch on either of 2 xbox 360's either at the same time or singular.

To solve similiar problams to yours i convert dvd to wmv ( a ftee program) and put them in the video folder on whs.

On xbox 360 i dont use media centre i use the video option.

With the last xbox 360 updtae things have changed a bit so go to the video on xbox 360 and use the blue button on the controller and select server. 

Saturday, December 29, 2007 9:25 AM
  •  TXmojo wrote:

I will try Divx and AVI.. but in terms of TVersity.... I don't want a third component (pc) in the mix... this is supposed to work directly between WHS and Xbox 360.  Can anyone confirm they have been able to see and play mpg files using just the dashboard media blade and WHS ?

No, you cannot stream mpgs from WHS to the 360.  Click here for compatibility after the December dashboard update...

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:50 PM
  • Well that stinks.  I have 100+ home videos in MPEG2 format.  If I take the time and effort to convert them to another format that is friendly with the 360 Dashboard which would you recommend?  MPEG4, Divx or WMV ?  I'd like good quality, ability to watch them on Xbox 360, possibly other platforms (I have a PS3 also).... would like to have fast-forward and pause... 

Finally would this recommended format be good for backing up DVD's I own and watching them on Xbox 360?

Thanks!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Also, what convertor do you guys use for the format and can it handle batch?

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:05 PM
  •  TXmojo wrote:

Well that stinks.  I have 100+ home videos in MPEG2 format.  If I take the time and effort to convert them to another format that is friendly with the 360 Dashboard which would you recommend?  MPEG4, Divx or WMV ?  I'd like good quality, ability to watch them on Xbox 360, possibly other platforms (I have a PS3 also).... would like to have fast-forward and pause... 

Finally would this recommended format be good for backing up DVD's I own and watching them on Xbox 360?

Thanks!

I believe the PS3 now has DivX capability as well.  As for the quality, it looks ok, but I prefer WMV-HD files.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:38 PM
  • You may want to try and rename the fil with an avi extension. For some reason the xbox can play mpg but not from WHS.

I have done this with mp4 movies ripped using handbrake and have had no problems.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 9:33 PM
  •  TXmojo wrote:

The files are being decoded on Xbox 360 and served by WHS so I do not understand why we need Vista in the middle.

They have to find some way to force Vista on you....

I was trying to accomplish the same thing and it is all a Microsoft limitation. Even the new codecs like Divx are not streamable. The program mentioned Tversity is a pain in the butt too. It transcodes video on the fly to a format the 360 can handle. You need a pretty fast machine that can handle the load too.

In a bizzare twist of fate, Macs have better support to stream media to a 360. I use a program called Connect360 and it will stream just about anything, no transcoding required.

If a Mac can stream to the Microsoft Xbox 360, then you'd think Microsoft Windows could. It sems Microsoft A: Wants you to buy Vista, B: only wants you to "rent" the rediculously DRM'ed Marketplace videos.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 1:03 AM
  •  chicagofilms wrote:
    They have to find some way to force Vista on you....

I was trying to accomplish the same thing and it is all a Microsoft limitation. Even the new codecs like Divx are not streamable.

Yes, they are.  I can now watch any DivX/Xvid file using only WHS and the 360 Media blade after the December dashboard update (no Vista/XP MCE required).

chicagofilms wrote:
    The program mentioned Tversity is a pain in the butt too. It transcodes video on the fly to a format the 360 can handle. You need a pretty fast machine that can handle the load too.

In a bizzare twist of fate, Macs have better support to stream media to a 360. I use a program called Connect360 and it will stream just about anything, no transcoding required.

If a Mac can stream to the Microsoft Xbox 360, then you'd think Microsoft Windows could. It sems Microsoft A: Wants you to buy Vista, B: only wants you to "rent" the rediculously DRM'ed Marketplace videos.

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 1:59 AM
  • Can you tell me how you can do that? I have some Divx files on my WHS and they do not show up on me 360. I have the guest account on all 3 of the media folders on the WHS.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 3:19 PM
  • I've been able to stream Divx to the 360 directly from WHS.  It actually worked very well.

The only issue I had with it was the video quality. It came across very dull and compresed looking (I know its a lossy codec but I assume that not all encoders are created equal?) What are you guys using for video encoding?  I'm a bit of a novice at this and I know it's bit off topic but, if any of you movie archivers wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction, that would be great.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:10 PM
  • BCDavis75, what is the file extension on your divx file? I have some divx files in the root of my Video folder on my WHS server but they do not show up in my 360. All I can see are avi and wmv. I think I can even see mp4 as well.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 4:22 PM
  •  Gstaver wrote:
    BCDavis75, what is the file extension on your divx file? I have some divx files in the root of my Video folder on my WHS server but they do not show up in my 360. All I can see are avi and wmv. I think I can even see mp4 as well.

My DivX/Xvid files have the .avi extension and stream to the 360 just fine.

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:47 AM
  • Go out and buy a PS3. Have no trouble streaming mpg2, Mp4 or any other format. I also have an sad Xbox360 Elete.. Thinking of buying another PS3. IT WORKS...
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:56 PM