Two Drives Fail at Same Time? RRS feed

• Question

•  

Much to my horror, WHS reports that 2 of the 4 drives in my array have failed.  It was all healthy yesterday, but today, I got the "Network Health Critical" message and upon further review, it appears that 2 drives failed last night.

All 4 drives are identical 2 month old Seagate 7200.11 1Tb drives, and are installed in my WHS rig which is a resurrected PC with an ASUS A8V mobo with 2Gb RAM and an AMD FX-60 CPU.  Aside from an installation issue with the drivers for the SATA controllers, there hasn't been a peep out of WHS since it has been up.

My data is still good, but I don't have redundancy at the moment.

To troubleshoot, I removed the drives one by one to determine which is the boot drive and which has the data and which are the 'failed' ones.  I say 'failed' because I highly doubt that two drives would fail at the same time, especially given their newness.

Two drives are definitely not being recognized, but they do spin up and I can hear that they sound normal.  There is none of the horrific clickety clack of the typical failed drive.

I have switched SATA connectors to eliminate the possibility of a connection or a controller issue.  The two working drives are on different headers, so I don't think it's a controller.

I have attached another 'known healthy' hard drive to test if it would be recognized, but disk manager on the WHS doesn't see it either.

I'm scratching my head over this one.  Ideas anyone????

Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• Well, this just wasn't making logical sense, since the odds of two independent drives failing at the same time are astronomical.  So, I poked around some more and did a proper job of troubleshooting the drives and it turns out that it is a controller issue after all.

Device manager on the WHS machine reports that the Promise controller has stopped working (Code 10) and I've tried to uninstall it and re-install using freshly downloaded drivers, but it still doesn't work.  WHS does discover the controller after an uninstallation, but for some reason it doesn't work.

If the controller failure is actually a hardware failure, am I looking at replacing the motherboard?  And if so, will I be able to simply plug everything back in and get WHS up without losing all the data on the drives?

Friday, January 11, 2008 2:20 PM
  • If you haven't removed the drives from the storage pool (i.e. they're showing as failed drives, and you've got a critical network alert in the console and tray app), then you may be able to add a PCI controller and connect the drives to that. If WHS doesn't recognize the drives when you do so, then you will have to physically remove them and recover the files on them. Everything WHS has stored on those drives from your shares will be in a hidden folder: <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc...
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:30 PM
  • FWIW:

I've a home-brew (new parts) WHS which has been operational since June 14, 2007.  it has two 500 gig drives--the older and system drive is IDE, the newer drive is SATA. 

Day before yesterday, I came home and looked up and observed that the disk activity light was on solid on the WHS and it wasn't one of the "trigger" times when there is usually activity, noon, midnight, 6pm, etc. 

So, I opened up the console and it told me that the second drive had failed.  I shut the WHS down, went to dinner, and then came back up and restarted it--no further sign of the failure.

So--I'm not sure what is going on here.  Nor am I sure what diagnostic processes are appropriate--about all I can thing of is to run a vendors diagnostic on the drive--and typically such diagnostics need to boot, so I'd have to drag the thing down off the shelf and set up an optical drive and a monitor ,etc, etc....

This looks more like a bug in the WHS software than a drive failure to me, but I'm not sure how to get useful information back to Microsoft about this possibility.

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:30 PM