Glad it's still working but where do we go from here? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm now running Windows 8 and very pleased to say that Money 2005 is still working fine. In these straitened times, an application for managing our finances is invaluable but I don't see Microsoft or anyone else for that matter, thinking of creating anything to replace Money 2005. Is anyone else aware of anything new in the pipeline?
    Wednesday, March 6, 2013 11:40 AM

All replies

• Microsoft Money is different things to different people. So the alternative for me would probably not be a good alternative for you. I suspect you have a reason why Quicken Deluxe or Premire would not be suitable for you.

Some people are tracking investments and/or basis. Some are monitioring checking and credit activities. There may be some doing budgeting. Some want to see where the money goes. Some want to be able to lay hands on a transaction, or to make other various reports. Some download. Some don't.

Some alternatives for different people could be http://money.msn.com/ , http://moneycentral.msn.com/stock_portfolio , a version of Quicken, GnuCash, Mint, KMyMoney, and others.

For me, Microsoft Money with PocketSense for the downloading assist do nicely.

Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:01 AM
  • At the height of "Money is going to stop working" panic, I tested a number of other personal finance products. No names, no pack drill, but they were all, in their own way, clunky and difficult to use. For example, in one product whenever I withdrew cash, my 'Cash' account was credited so this built up a credit in spite of the loot having gone west on food, beer, etc. When it became clear that MSMoney would work for the foreseeable future, I gave up. MSMoney still updates my share portfolio (UK), only goodness knows how. It is certain that at some time Windows itself will vanish, but until then backwards compatibility should take care of things.

Since, apart from word processing and web browsing, personal finance is something nearly every PC user has to cope with, I do wonder why no-one has brought a wizzbang all conquering multi-currency product to market that is a cinch to use. In the 'build a better mouse-trap' vein, I think somebody would make a fortune.

Friday, March 15, 2013 11:05 AM