WHS 2011 will not recognize new HDD RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to add a new HDD to WHS 2011, an Hitachi 2TB.  WHS will not recognize the drive.  It is recognized in the bios correctly and I have put it in a WIN7 box to verify it is operational, while there I formatted it.  WHS 2011 still did not recognize it, rescane the drives etc, still no go.  Put it back in WIN7 and played with it, fully functional there notheing in WHS 2011.

I did not assign a drive letter at format, not that this should make a difference.

ideas besides a reinsatll of WHS?

chuck

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• There should not be a problem with disks on two different controllers in WHS 2011 as long as the drivers for both are fine. Did you have to install additional drivers for the two controllers or were they recognised during the install? Assumeing there are no Windoes Server R2 drivers then the best option is W7 64-bit.

You didn't anwswer the question about whether it is on a different controller to the OS disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by chucktew Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• You do not need to format it outside WHS2011 but that should not be the problem. I assume you connecting it internally as a storage drive rather than an external server backup drive? If so, are you connecting it to a different controller than you have the OS disk connected to? There may be a driver issue if you have more than one controller on your motherboard. Do you have any unknown devices in Device Manager?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:05 PM
  • no unknown devices.  I know i should be able to format etc in WHS but did it as much to verify it was operational.

In my system I have two SATA controllers, the native and a Marvel.  I marginally considered this but in the past in XP Win7 the two controllers worked fine together with drives across all the SATA ports.  Guess I can swap some wires.  A pita but if I get no other suggestions I'll try that later or in the morning.

chuck

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:21 PM
  • There should not be a problem with disks on two different controllers in WHS 2011 as long as the drivers for both are fine. Did you have to install additional drivers for the two controllers or were they recognised during the install? Assumeing there are no Windoes Server R2 drivers then the best option is W7 64-bit.

You didn't anwswer the question about whether it is on a different controller to the OS disk.

• Marked as answer by chucktew Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:02 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:32 PM
  • both controllers are on the Gigabyte MB itself.  I did check and it is not on the intel controller chip (OS) is there it is on the Gigabyte controller chip.

I will swap wires and put it on the Intel controller where the OS is.  That really should not be an issue though, the BIOS see it fine.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:35 PM
  • attached the new disk to the controller with th OS on it.

Resolved.

Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:02 AM