The 79% or 81% problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

Very odd: None of the posted problems about the 81% problem mentions the error message I get when I try to Open Backups: "You need to format the disk in Drive Z: before you can use it."

If I say yes, a dialogue box shows up saying it needs only 100 MB; if I click start, I get another message saying that ALL the data on that disk will be destroyed. I don't want to continue because I don't know where WHS wants to put Drive Z, so I have not yet agreed to lose all my data.

Some particular factors:

The problem appeared after I replaced the system disk in my HP SmartServer, which was failing.

I reloaded everything, including all updates and consoles for three client computers (two 32-bit Win7 boxes, one 64-bit Win7 box), using HP's restore disk, but could no longer open any backups, including ones I made a week *after* rebuilding the server. And I'm running into the "You need to format the disk in Drive Z: before you can use it" message.

Has anyone yet come up with an answer (the most recent post seems to be from June 2010)?

Jack

Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:39 PM