Network performance sluggish with Vail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I noticed yesterday that the ping times from the vail server, are much higher than usual. I have a 100 Mbps LAN and I get ping times of 1-3 ms on all other computers except the vail which get about 300 ms. This is really strange.

Also, when loading images in the MS Phoot viewer, each 2 Mb pic takes aboout 10-12 seconds to load, and the photo viewer seems to freeze for a few seconds. Usually I can just click click click and they load in no time from my old WHS.

How can I trubleshoot this, I don't blame Vail directly but if there are any bottlenecks or high packet loss etc what tools can I use to measure and analyze my network performance? I want to rule out my network first... before turning my eyes on Vail.

cheers

Henrik
    Friday, June 25, 2010 11:04 AM

All replies

• Out of curiosity, how much memory do you have in your Vail server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:23 AM
  • Hi Ken!

It is 8 GB of memory on an Intel Xeon X3220 CPU.

/H

Henrik
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 7:45 AM
  • I have run some simple checks using task manager on my vail, and it is constantly utilizing around 35% of the network capacity. This can't be right...

/Henrik

Henrik
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 10:38 AM
  • Have you tried reseating the various patch cables in use?. What you are describing can be one of bad contacts on a cable.  Have you checked the port in the switch that your Vail server is connected to? and if possible put it in another switch port. As the other machines are responding fine, try swapping cables between the server and one of the workstations.

Have you tried ping /t to give you a continuous ping and checking for dropped packets?

Your could try removing all of the other machines off the network and seeing whether the ping time improve. You may be able to isolate whether one of the other machines is talking flat out to the server for some reason or a suspect nic card.

Just re reading your post above is the Vail server continually using 35% of the network or is it using 35% when you are transfering data?

Dave

• Edited by frogz1 Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:15 PM add info
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 12:08 PM
  • Hi!

I noticed yesterday that the ping times from the vail server, are much higher than usual. I have a 100 Mbps LAN and I get ping times of 1-3 ms on all other computers except the vail which get about 300 ms. This is really strange.

Also, when loading images in the MS Phoot viewer, each 2 Mb pic takes aboout 10-12 seconds to load, and the photo viewer seems to freeze for a few seconds. Usually I can just click click click and they load in no time from my old WHS.

How can I trubleshoot this, I don't blame Vail directly but if there are any bottlenecks or high packet loss etc what tools can I use to measure and analyze my network performance? I want to rule out my network first... before turning my eyes on Vail.

cheers

Henrik
    What OS is your NIC driver designed for?
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:09 PM
  • Hi!

I have replaced the cables, but still the NIC is running at 35% of capacity. I have no idea what OS the driver is for, I didn't install it, it came with Vail so I guess it is suitable. THe server is new and designed for WIndows Server 2008.

Perhaps I should file a bug? Or maybe it is somethign with remote access. But with my v1 WHS, I dont have such enormous pressure on the NIC when running remote desktop...

/H

Henrik
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Hi!

I have replaced the cables, but still the NIC is running at 35% of capacity. I have no idea what OS the driver is for, I didn't install it, it came with Vail so I guess it is suitable. THe server is new and designed for WIndows Server 2008.

Perhaps I should file a bug? Or maybe it is somethign with remote access. But with my v1 WHS, I dont have such enormous pressure on the NIC when running remote desktop...

/H

Henrik
    You could try looking for an updated driver for the NIC.  Other than that, I think you should file a bug report on Connect.
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:31 PM