Understanding the Hidden "DE" folder RRS feed

• Question

• After my WHSv1 cratered I needed to start again.

I decided to go with Win8 and use storage pools/spaces

I have read about the hidden DE folder where I need to look for all my old data, but it appears its not as easy as it looks.

I'm assuming ALL drives have the folder structure in place but only the drives with data on it allow you to access it, otherwise I get "you do not have permission to view this folder"

Do I need to check each folder manually to find out If I can open it and find files or is there an easier way ?

Friday, March 21, 2014 7:47 AM

All replies

• Try this: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f/how-to-recover-data-after-server-failure?forum=whsfaq

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, March 21, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for the response,

That article is helpful to start the process, and I have read it thank you,

I would like to state my observations from my efforts of transferring data from the hidden DE file to a new drive (storage space no redundancy atm)

From what I understand od drive extender it writes data in the same folder to multiple hard drives.

The folder structure is in place, however files in these folders may be represented, but not actually there. (tombstones) I think these files are on another drive in the DE pool

When you try to copy a file that is represented, but not actually there, your system stalls and eventually errors out (after a LONG time)

This makes coping folders tedious as you need to weed these files out so the copy process can proceed.

This is my 1st attempt of coping files from drive to drive on a server with 5 hard drives, I have yet to try another drive, so we will see if this behavior continues.

Saturday, March 22, 2014 1:29 AM