Unable to connect to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am no longer able to connect to WHS through the Windows Home Server Console from any of my computers. It is still possible to log in to the WHS through remote desktop login.

A few days ago I installed a bunch of software updates through http://update.microsoft.com/ . Among these updates I also installed some custom updates which I don’t remember the exact name of. But one was related to search and one was related to security groups.

After this I have installed (upgraded to) Diskeeper 2009 for WHS.

I don’t remember for sure, but I think I have been able to connect to the WHS console after all these installations. But I’m not able any more.

I have tried to reboot both the clients and server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Morten

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 8:21 AM

Answers

• I am no longer able to connect to WHS through the Windows Home Server Console from any of my computers. It is still possible to log in to the WHS through remote desktop login.

A few days ago I installed a bunch of software updates through http://update.microsoft.com. Among these updates I also installed some custom updates which I don’t remember the exact name of. But one was related to search and one was related to security groups.

Installing Software, Optional updates is unsupported and not recommended.  It has caused other users problems.  You can try uninstalling them (check the update history to see which ones you installed), but as I recall, it didn't help the other users much.  You might need to start thinking about a Server Reinstallation.

I don’t remember for sure, but I think I have been able to connect to the WHS console after all these installations. But I’m not able any more.

Morten

• Marked as answer by Morten Ø Saturday, December 5, 2009 7:42 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:44 AM

All replies

• The Home Server Console is unable to start also when logged in to WHS by Remote Desctop. (It just comes up to display a fraction of a second.)

Morten

Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:35 AM
  • This may point to an issue with an Add-In.
    You can try to uninstall the most recent add-ins via Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs on the server. Also checking the event viewer for errors in the event log may help to hunt the reason down.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 10:45 AM
  • Just a guess, but I expect your server has upgraded itself to PP2. Have your clients upgraded themselves too? You might try re-running the connector install.
    qts
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Just a guess, but I expect your server has upgraded itself to PP2. Have your clients upgraded themselves too? You might try re-running the connector install.
    This would not explain the fact that it happens also locally on the server desktop.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 9:17 PM

A few days ago I installed a bunch of software updates through http://update.microsoft.com. Among these updates I also installed some custom updates which I don’t remember the exact name of. But one was related to search and one was related to security groups.

Installing Software, Optional updates is unsupported and not recommended.  It has caused other users problems.  You can try uninstalling them (check the update history to see which ones you installed), but as I recall, it didn't help the other users much.  You might need to start thinking about a Server Reinstallation.

Morten

• Marked as answer by Morten Ø Saturday, December 5, 2009 7:42 AM
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 1:44 AM
  • Installing Software, Optional updates is unsupported and not recommended.  It has caused other users problems.  You can try uninstalling them (check the update history to see which ones you installed), but as I recall, it didn't help the other users much.  You might need to start thinking about a Server Reinstallation.

I was afraid of this. Where (and how) can I find a list of updates by date?

Thanks for all help so far.

The server and clients are already upgraded to PP2.

I have not had time to try uninstallation of Diskeeper 2009, but I will try this and uninstall of custom updates before I have to go fore server reinstallation. I'm going away for a couple of days now, but will report back when I'm back and I have tried all of the above.

Morten
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 9:00 AM