XP Not Real?? RRS feed

• Question

• A friend, with training, who fixes computers for a living, upgraded my intel system from Windows98 to Windows XP about 2 yrs ago. After using it for several months, I moved and when I went to use my computer again I continuously get the msg telling me my Windows Xp is not Genuine. It tells me that the product key is blocked! What can I do?? Any and all help is appreciated, I can't afford to buy the download disc to make it real when I never had this problem before. HELP!
    Friday, June 19, 2009 9:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• Head to the following link, which validates whether your copy of XP is genuine.
    http://www.msftgenuinevalidation.com/Default.aspx
    If not, you should be presented with options to purchase a key if yours is not valid.
    Monday, June 22, 2009 3:07 PM
  • A friend, with training, who fixes computers for a living, upgraded my intel system from Windows98 to Windows XP about 2 yrs ago. After using it for several months, I moved and when I went to use my computer again I continuously get the msg telling me my Windows Xp is not Genuine. It tells me that the product key is blocked! What can I do?? Any and all help is appreciated, I can't afford to buy the download disc to make it real when I never had this problem before. HELP!

Hi veryneedy.  Your "friend" didn't do you any favors when he installed an illegal copy of the XP opsys that must be causing you the headaches now.  The reason I say that is because attempting to reactivate an opsys that was installed by this guy several (hundred) times, causes that to happen.  Why?  Because if it's not performed by the owner, Microsoft will eventually see the multiple activations, from multiple systems and put a blanket lock on any further activation attempts.  When a legitimate copy of an MS opsys is installed, you always get an Genuine sticker put onto your case, most of the times the matching physical disk, but if not, the installer makes a smal opsys installation partition that holds the genuine system; that lets you reinstall/repair without having the disk.  But, the sticker is always given to you, or attached to your computer (usually at the rear of the case).

If you feel that you do, in fact, have a genuine, legal opsys installed, check with Microsoft.  They have about the best support of all the major computer software/hardware companies.  They have a "Replacement Products" department that may be of help, but you will be required to show proof of purchase; you should also contact Micrsoft's Piracy team and report exactly how the XP opsys was sold to you by your "friend."

Sounds like money is tight for you, but if your system is able to support it, you ought to consider upgrading to Vista, to get Windows 7 free when it's released later this year.  Just make sure you get it, following the special promotional requirements.

Good luck!

PS  Jeffrey M (MSFT, owner) - if this was off subject here, my apologies.  Thanks.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:23 PM