Unable to back up Windows 8.1 with Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Home Server 2011 with rollup update 4. When I upgraded a client computer from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, WHS will no longer backup the 8.1 client. I can login to the WHS from the laptop and run the remote desktop and perform all the functions on WMS from the Win 8.1 computer. However, both manual and automatic backups stop at 1% and I get a "backup unsuccessful message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS connector with no impact on the problem. Does anyone have a fix?
    Monday, November 11, 2013 3:53 AM

Answers

• Hi,

could you try to reconfigure backup and exclude the small volume at the beginning from backup? Maybe it has not enough free disk space after the upgrade, so volume shadow copy fails. And once one volume fails, WHS backup is lazy and does not attempt to backup the other volumes any more.

If this does not help, try running chkdsk /r on your clients C: drive.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Marked as answer by Eatongroup Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:55 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Dashboard -> Computers and Backup -> Customize Backup for the computer -> Add or remove backup items

Now deselect the partitions that are marked as offline and select the other partitions. You will be ready to go.

Luc.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

could you try to reconfigure backup and exclude the small volume at the beginning from backup? Maybe it has not enough free disk space after the upgrade, so volume shadow copy fails. And once one volume fails, WHS backup is lazy and does not attempt to backup the other volumes any more.

If this does not help, try running chkdsk /r on your clients C: drive.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, November 11, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Dashboard -> Computers and Backup -> Customize Backup for the computer -> Add or remove backup items

Now deselect the partitions that are marked as offline and select the other partitions. You will be ready to go.

Luc.

Monday, November 11, 2013 10:55 AM
  • Nothing was marked as "offline", but I did deselect the small "local drive" volume that was in the list prior to the C: drive.  This solved the problem.  Thanks very much Luc and Olaf.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:58 AM
  • I have Windows Home Server 2011 with rollup update 4. When I upgraded a client computer from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, WHS will no longer backup the 8.1 client. I can login to the WHS from the laptop and run the remote desktop and perform all the functions on WMS from the Win 8.1 computer. However, both manual and automatic backups stop at 1% and I get a "backup unsuccessful message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS connector with no impact on the problem. Does anyone have a fix?

I have just moved from WHS v1 to WHS 2011 and am having this very same problem with a Dell Latitude laptop running Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

First go after initial install of WHS 2011 - Backup fails at 1%. I then fully updated WHS2011. Backup fails at 1%. De-selected all the recovery partitions of the laptop, leaving just C:. Backup fails at 1%. Ran CCleaner. Backup fails at 1%. De-selected C: and configured it to backup just the Users directory. Backup fails at 1%.

Meanwhile the Dell desktop running Win7 Ultimate breezed through without a hitch.

At present, I'd be better off going back to WHS v1. Suggestions, other than going back, anyone please?

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:16 PM
  • Do you have KB2781272 installed on your server? This hotfix is required for GPT partitioned disks.

Luc.

Monday, July 13, 2015 6:40 PM
  • Luc,

Ah! I had tried to work around that one by asking it to backup *just* 'C:' or even *just* the 'User's directory, both of which failed. Is it then necessary to have that fix even just to backup part of the drive?

However, to answer your question - I've just searched the list of 255 updates and this particular one isn't there, an omission I find surprising given its evident importance to anyone with factory-installed Windows. I shall now go any apply it and report back.

Thank you for waiting...

Mike

Monday, July 13, 2015 7:48 PM
  • Oh dear.

Hotfix found and applied.

Server rebooted. Update to Connector software triggered. PC re-started.

Any attempt to configure the backup for the Dell in question now fails with "The backup is not successfully set up. An unknown error prevented the server from performing this task. Make sure that all the services on the server are running, and then try again. Troubleshoot this issue."

If have troubleshot this issue; I have ensured that the specified backup services are running on the server and the target client. I then, as per its next suggestion, removed and re-installed the Connector software. And I'm back with the same "The backup is not successfully set up" error.

Not much of a hotfix so far. Practically I'm no worse off, but the error now occurs right at the start of the process rather than waiting to achieve only 1%. No, wait, it *is* worse - the Windows 7 PC now has exactly the same error. So now *no* backups can take place.

Right, I can't waste any more time on this trash - back to WHS v1.

• Edited by Mike_A4 Monday, July 13, 2015 9:29 PM
    Monday, July 13, 2015 8:55 PM
  • Is the connector software on the Win 7 PC updated after the hotfix on the server was applied? And was the PC restarted?

Luc.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 9:04 AM
  • Yes it was, and yes it was.

I have gone back to WHS v1 for the moment - I have better functionality with that after an overnight install and update than I achieved in two days with WHS2011. A pity, I can really see the improvements between the two... but not for the costs in actual ease of use and reliability.

I will almost certainly try again, there are enough compelling reasons to do so, but it looks as though it'll be a week's worth of work to get it to where it needs to be, and I currently don't have a week to throw at this. Or a spare home server to cover the downtime.

Progress... tomorrow.

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 10:04 AM