Is it possible to remove Settings Area by Security Role? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I would like to simplify the CRM for non-administrative users.  Is it possible to remove the Settings Area link for certain users?

Thanks,

Linna
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes you have to add the privilege node to 30 items in the Sub Area of "Settings" Area, for entities that securiety pirvileges are not mentioned in Security Role setup, you can create a new Custom Entity (only for secruity privilage, entity should have no conencitons, notes, activities etc) i.e. "new_setting_area_Privilges" and you may add the following XML node <Privilege Entity="new_setting_area_Privilges" Privilege="Read,Write,Create"/> into the SubArea XML node of "Settings" Area. i.e.

<SubArea Id="nav_systemjobs" ResourceId="Homepage_SystemJobs" DescriptionResourceId="SystemJobs_SubArea_Description" Entity="asyncoperation" Url="/tools/business/home_asyncoperation.aspx" AvailableOffline="false" >

<Privilege Entity="new_setting_area_Privilges" Privilege="Read "/>

</SubArea> So the navigation item will be hidden if you will not give the read privileges of entity new_setting_area_Privilges from the security role.

I hope your question is answered.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:16 PM

All replies

• Hi

refer this post you can setting area in the same way

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309475.aspx

Mahain : My Dynamics CRM Blog
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Hi, 

This post tells me to add a privilege element to my subarea.  Are you saying that if I add a privilege to the 30 items in my subarea my "Settings" Area will be hidden?

If that is indeed true, Can i use privilege node on MS CRM items such as Administration and System Jobs?  what privilege would i use for these items?

Thanks

Linna
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

Yes you have to add the privilege node to 30 items in the Sub Area of "Settings" Area, for entities that securiety pirvileges are not mentioned in Security Role setup, you can create a new Custom Entity (only for secruity privilage, entity should have no conencitons, notes, activities etc) i.e. "new_setting_area_Privilges" and you may add the following XML node <Privilege Entity="new_setting_area_Privilges" Privilege="Read,Write,Create"/> into the SubArea XML node of "Settings" Area. i.e.

<SubArea Id="nav_systemjobs" ResourceId="Homepage_SystemJobs" DescriptionResourceId="SystemJobs_SubArea_Description" Entity="asyncoperation" Url="/tools/business/home_asyncoperation.aspx" AvailableOffline="false" >

<Privilege Entity="new_setting_area_Privilges" Privilege="Read "/>

</SubArea> So the navigation item will be hidden if you will not give the read privileges of entity new_setting_area_Privilges from the security role.

I hope your question is answered.

Jehanzeb Javeed

http://worldofdynamics.blogspot.com
    Linked-In Profile |CodePlex Profile

If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Thanks, that worked beautifully!
    Linna
    Thursday, June 9, 2011 3:06 PM