Getting run time error message "The database file has been created earlier version of Sql Server compact." RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

1)I installed Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET Orcas Beta1 release and Demo I: Offline Application - SyncAdapterBuilder. I was able to run the application without any problems.

1) I have uninstalled the Microsoft Synchronization Services for ADO.NET Orcas Beta1 release  and installed the Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 for Windows Desktop Beta 2. Now when i run the application and click Synchronize button, i am getting the dialog box with a message "The database file has been created earlier version of Sql Server compact. Please upgrade using SqlCeEngine.Upgrade". I don't see the SqlCeEngine.Upgrade method to execute in the code. I am struck here now.

Please let me know how to resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Narasa

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Friday, April 22, 2011 4:45 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Microsoft Sync Framework Database Providers [ReadOnly])
    Thursday, August 30, 2007 8:13 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Can you delete the database file and let the sample create a new one for you? The new bits made changes to the SQLCE database files and older versions are not compatible any more.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Problem

When running samples/demos of the Sync Services intended for SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 you receive the following message:

"The database file has been created by an earlier version of SQL Server Compact. Please upgrade using SqlCeEngine.Upgrade() method"

Cause

The reference in your project to the System.Data.SqlServerCe assembly is pointing to an older version of the file. This may occur if you already have Visual Studio 2005 installed on your PC.

Solution

In the Visual Studio project, ensure the file path of the System.Data.SqlServerCe reference points to the correct version – in this case SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 (Desktop):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

An example of an incorrect file reference for SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you delete the database file and let the sample create a new one for you? The new bits made changes to the SQLCE database files and older versions are not compatible any more.

Thanks

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 5:36 PM
  • Problem

When running samples/demos of the Sync Services intended for SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 you receive the following message:

"The database file has been created by an earlier version of SQL Server Compact. Please upgrade using SqlCeEngine.Upgrade() method"

Cause

The reference in your project to the System.Data.SqlServerCe assembly is pointing to an older version of the file. This may occur if you already have Visual Studio 2005 installed on your PC.

Solution

In the Visual Studio project, ensure the file path of the System.Data.SqlServerCe reference points to the correct version – in this case SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 (Desktop):

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.5\Desktop\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

An example of an incorrect file reference for SQL Server CE 3.5 Beta 2 is as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\Common7\IDE\PublicAssemblies\System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll

Sunday, October 21, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I removed the old refrence of System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll and added the new as said.

But it still giving the same error message.

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 5:48 AM