firewall - network scanner RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running OneCare on 3 computers (2 Vista 32-bit, 1 Vista 64-bit) on a home network.  All three need to access an Epson CX9475Fax all-in-one scanner/fax/printer over a wireless network.  2 (both 32-bit) of the 3 computers set up fine.  the 3rd is having trouble with the firewall.  i've got it installed such that, if the firewall is turned off, the scanning software works fine.  if the firewall is on, it won't launch.

i've got the epson scanning program and edimax network sharing software listed on the firewall exception list.  I called Epson, but they weren't able to identify any additional ports that need to be open to allow the software to launch.

any ideas?
    Wednesday, October 29, 2008 9:17 PM

Answers

• Since it is working on the 32 bit computers, but not the 64 bit computer, I would imagine that it is the way the software interacts with the network on a 64 bit system that is contributing to the problem. All I can suggest is contacting OneCare support and requesting the problem be escalated once the basics are reviewed by front line support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:18 PM

All replies

• Since it is working on the 32 bit computers, but not the 64 bit computer, I would imagine that it is the way the software interacts with the network on a 64 bit system that is contributing to the problem. All I can suggest is contacting OneCare support and requesting the problem be escalated once the basics are reviewed by front line support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, October 30, 2008 7:18 PM
  • FYI - I spoke to OneCare support. they said network scanners aren't supported on 64-bit Windows, but that they're working on a solution.  for the time being i need to turn off the firewall when scanning
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Thanks for reporting back. It isn't the most elegant workaround, but at least it works.

-steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 5:26 PM