EX490 Wrong Capacity RRS feed

• Question

• I bought two 3 TB Hitachi drives and put them in the server.  Both are showing up as 746.51 GB.  Can someone direct me on how to get the full 3000 GB to show up?

I have not added the drive yet in the home server console software.  I did reboot and still have the same issue.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011 6:59 PM

All replies

• No matter what you do it will be impossible to get Windows Home Server to use the full 3 TB on your drives. This is because Windows Home Server uses MBR style partition tables, and a single partition is limited to 2 TB.

You may want to contact HP to see if your issue is a BIOS incompatibility (I suspect it is), but even if you get the drives themselves recognized, Windows Home Server will create a single 2 TB partition on each drive for use in the storage pool, and will leave the rest of the drive empty. 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for this.  I've ordered 2TB drives and will see what happens when i insert them.  Should be here in a couple days.
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:41 PM
  • I got my 2TB drives in and it worked great.  I guess above 2TB just isn't supported.
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Windows Home server doesn't have GPT?  My SBS 2003 server has GPT, but I can't see my 3TB hitatchi drives either.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 2:21 AM
  • There is a KB article as well as an add-on (to make this easy) that will allow WHS V1.0 to format and use GPT, which would allow you to take full advantage of those drives.  I have not used this, but since Microsoft issued the KB article I would say this is safe.

Some 3TB drives may require a jumper as well.  I would recommend reading the manufacture's instructions.

Unfortunately with the inherant limitations of WHS V1.0, I am looking forward to WHS 2011 (if it ever gets through RC1) which will not have the MBR limitations.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 6:40 PM
  • Do you know the number of the KB? Thanks!
    Friday, March 25, 2011 6:47 PM