Mesh or Sky Drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello People,
    I am at the end of scanning families 35 mm slides. I now have a hug amount of pictures to be identified by family members (add tags). We all have computers with internet. I want to throw the pictures up somewhere and have my family retrieve, tag, and then put back the pictures.
    What do you think? A task for Mesh or Sky Drive? I thought it might be cool to beta test on Mesh.
    Peace,
    Peter Koszyczarek
    Windows Live Butterfly
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 11:43 AM

All replies

• Its a great question, and for now I believe Live Mesh is best suited to your needs.  Eventually I believe Microsoft will bring clarity to the goals/purpose of Live Mesh, Live SkyDrive, Live FolderShare and Office Live Workspace.  I have some thoughts regarding this that I'll get into in a moment.  Your primary goal is to have family members assist in organizing (tagging) your photos.  Great idea btw, something I need to do.  Unfortunately, neither Live Mesh or Live SkyDrive allow you modify/add tags to files directly from within those two platforms.  Hopefully that is something that will be added.  Lets consider the options...

Office Live Workspace: does let you open/edit files directly but I'm not sure that currently works with photos.   In addition, I don't believe it has a photo preview/thumbnail which is likely a necessity for your purpose.

Live SkyDrive: does not currently offer a folder syncing capability or allow you to edit files/tags directly.  Because of this it will be very painful for your family members to download each file individually.  However, on the positive side it does not require additional client software to be installed.

Windows Home Server: does not currently offer a folder syncing capability or allow you to edit files/tags directly.  However it does provide a photo thumbnail/preview, does not require a Live ID, does not require a client application to be installed and utilizes minimum bandwidth (as you are not syncing a large # of files).  Check out how it looks here  http://www.winsupersite.com/images/showcase/whs_pp1_10.jpg

Live FolderShare: i've never tried it and not sure how much it differs from the folder sync capabilities of Live Mesh.  I get the feeling that Live Mesh supersedes FolderShare.  The one thing that FolderShare has that is nice is that it does not require a Live ID.  As someone who has multiple IDs I don't see the big deal in establishing a free Live ID but for some people its an issue.

Ultimately, I wish there was an ability to edit tags directly in Windows Home Server (Remote Access), Live SkyDrive and Live Mesh.  Until then, I think Live Mesh is really your only workable solution. 

In the future I believe Office Live Workspace and Live SkyDrive will be linked to Live Mesh so those are available in Live Mesh desktop and folder syncing.  And I've got my fingers crossed that they somehow integrate Live Mesh with Windows Home Server too.  I'm a huge Windows Home Server fan.

• Edited by John Cz Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:22 PM update
    Thursday, June 19, 2008 3:18 PM
  • "Unfortunately, neither Live Mesh or Live SkyDrive allow you modify/add tags to files directly from within those two platforms."

With the ease of WindowsLive Photo Gallery, I don't see any reason to repeat this feature... at least for photos.

FWIW, I have long used Foldershare for what kozman describes. I have a folder that I share with 6 family members (scattered everywhere geographically) and we all contribute/tag our photos as one large pool. I haven't thought about moving that to Mesh, but will think it through. Thanks.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 3:25 AM
  • awwwyea said:

"Unfortunately, neither Live Mesh or Live SkyDrive allow you modify/add tags to files directly from within those two platforms."

With the ease of WindowsLive Photo Gallery, I don't see any reason to repeat this feature... at least for photos.

FWIW, I have long used Foldershare for what kozman describes. I have a folder that I share with 6 family members (scattered everywhere geographically) and we all contribute/tag our photos as one large pool. I haven't thought about moving that to Mesh, but will think it through. Thanks.

WLPG and (its integration with) the spaces photo store are still missing critical features, like propogating header info (subject, title, caption), tags, and the like.  When these features are finished, it will be some good stuff, but not until then.  I don't think it will be ____ suitable for sharing photos for collaborative editing as foldershare is now, though - it's more made for publishing.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 5:23 PM
  • There are many tools  and that makes us confuse when want to choose one to us.

Microsoft make it simple like your competitor such as google please or you will lose the customers

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 11:40 PM