MS Money 2007 Deluxe - Portfolio Manager View wrong size (unviewable) RRS feed

• Question

• Yesterday, my Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe program decided to alter the view on the Portfolio Manager to a 2" x 2" view.  It is simply a shrunk down view of the full page screen which is pretty useless given the quantity of transactions I have.  It does have scroll bars so I can manipulate and view a piece at a time but it is frustrating.  I have not seen where there is even a setting for how large a portion of my screen can be set to utilize.  Resizing the program does not help either.  I am assuming either a recently corrupt DLL file or registry setting.  It does this for all my Money.mny files, including the "sample.mny" file they give you to play with.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:27 PM

All replies

• What version of Windows and Internet Explorer?  Did that happen after the last Windows Update?
    Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:32 PM
  • I updated question to include a screenshot.  I am running Windows XP SP3 with MS IE 8 and do keep my system updated automatically.  It is possible that a recent update caused the problem but I cannot state that for sure.  Although there are scroll bars to adjust the image, there are no "handles" to grab to resize it.
    Friday, December 13, 2013 5:13 PM
  • This symptom is similar to one reported a few months ago with Windows 8.1 Preview.  I have not seen any reports of it with Windows XP, but the recent update may have caused trouble for users of XP.

Here are some things to try:

- roll back the recent updates.  There should be a restore point from just before they were applied.

- If that fixes the problem that will confirm that one of the recent updates is causing the strange behavior.  In that case it will be necessary to re-apply the updates one at a time to figure out which one is the culprit.  With luck, it will be a non-essential update and you can run without it for the time being.  Let us know.

- Another option is to update your Money version to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.  See the second "sticky" post in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

Sunset may have the same problem, but it's worth a try.

- If that doesn't help, you can try applying the patch that is described in the first "sticky" post in this forum: 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It was developed for a different problem, but it's worth doing anyway.

Let us know what you tried and what, if anything, works.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:08 AM typo
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 4:07 AM
  • This symptom is similar to one reported a few months ago with Windows 8.1 Preview.  I have not seen any reports of it with Windows XP, but the recent update may have caused trouble for users of XP.

- roll back the recent updates.  There should be a restore point from just before they were applied.

- If that fixes the problem that will confirm that one of the recent updates is causing the strange behavior.  In that case it will be necessary to re-apply the updates one at a time to figure out which one is the culprit.  With luck, it will be a non-essential update and you can run without it for the time being.  Let us know.

- Another option is to update your Money version to Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.  See the second "sticky" post in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/479281b2-90f9-42ca-85f7-644fc6e1e5c3/download-microsoft-money-installation-files-solve-activation-and-some-other-errors?forum=money

- If that doesn't help, you can try applying the patch that is described in the first "sticky" post in this forum: 

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

Bill Becker

I already tried (at least 6) restore points, going back about one month.... all resulted in Windows' inability to roll back the registry so no changes were made.  I did reluctantly install Money Plus Sunset, fearing I may lose something in the conversion.  Good news was that all transferred over but that Investments - Porfolio Manager view is still corrupt.  Many of the options in the blue field to the left are not even visible,  perhaps something is being "painted" over that part of the screen as well as the odd size of the portfolio view.  As an aside, I installed MS MNY Plus Sunset on a netbook running Windows 7 Starter and all was fine (I just don't want to use that for everyday use). 
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 2:10 PM

Bill Becker

I already tried (at least 6) restore points, going back about one month.... all resulted in Windows' inability to roll back the registry so no changes were made.  I did reluctantly install Money Plus Sunset, fearing I may lose something in the conversion.  Good news was that all transferred over but that Investments - Porfolio Manager view is still corrupt.  Many of the options in the blue field to the left are not even visible,  perhaps something is being "painted" over that part of the screen as well as the odd size of the portfolio view.  As an aside, I installed MS MNY Plus Sunset on a netbook running Windows 7 Starter and all was fine (I just don't want to use that for everyday use). 
    Did you try the patch?
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 6:18 PM
  • I tried everything so far, inclduing the the patched MNYOB99.DLL file, but that did not clear things up either.  The most frustrating thing about this is that is the only page it happens to.  I have tried all other links available on the left side of the page to go to various screens.
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 7:30 PM
  • It's odd that you cannot execute any of your recent restore points.  However, I am running Windows 7 x64 pro and I only run XP in a virtual machine now so I'm not on top of the latest issues.

As a test, I installed Money Sunset in my XP Virtual machine and when I open the Sample.mny file the portfolio manager behaves as expected.  I see no problems with the window size.  One difference may be that I only apply critical (security) updates to the VM.  

A list of the updates that I have not applied are below.  One of these may be the problem, but note that some of them are really old and are unlikely to be the problem.

I suggest that you look at the list of your installed updates and uninstall the most recent one at a time to see if that helps.  Start with the non-security updates.

My XP updates that are not installed:

Update for Root Certificates for Windows XP [November 2013] (KB931125) 
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1  
    Update for Windows XP (KB2808679) 
    Update for Windows XP (KB2632503)
    Update for Internet Explorer 8 Compatibility View List for Windows XP (KB2598845)  
    Microsoft Base Smart Card Cryptographic Service Provider Package: x86 (KB909520) 
    Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) 
    Windows Media Player 11 
    Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:13 PM typo
    Saturday, December 14, 2013 8:10 PM
  • You might try creating a new Windows user with Administrator privilege. Run Money as that user, and see if symptoms improve.

The theory is that if the problem is an IE or other setting, you will get default settings for the new user. 

Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:18 AM
  • Symptom identical to my Microsoft Money Sunset plus with windows 7   
    Sunday, January 12, 2014 9:18 PM
  • I have the same problem, Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe program decided to alter the view on the Portfolio Manager to a 2" x 2" view. When I click the "Refresh This Page" button, a full page view is displayed for  less than one second then reverts back to the 2" x 2" view. I am using windows 7.
    Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:06 AM
  • I'm getting the same problem today on my PC. I don't recall installing anything recently. Have you had any luck in resolving the issue?

Ahh I just found the solution!

Open up a command prompt and type the following commands each by each.

regsvr32 jscript.dll
    regsvr32 vbscript.dll

• Edited by Tronix_74 Monday, February 24, 2014 9:08 PM Found solution
    • Proposed as answer by johninstalbans Monday, January 25, 2016 12:06 AM
    Monday, February 24, 2014 9:05 PM
  • I run the last version of Money UK (on Windows 7 HP SP1 64-bit) and I've been suffering EXACTLY the same problem for the past year or so. I've tried all the suggestions I've found, to no effect, except the last one above from Tronix_74 - as I'm cautious about registry editing. Has anyone else tried this successfully?

John Edwards

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:11 PM
  • I run the last version of Money UK (on Windows 7 HP SP1 64-bit) and I've been suffering EXACTLY the same problem for the past year or so. I've tried all the suggestions I've found, to no effect, except the last one above from Tronix_74 - as I'm cautious about registry editing. Has anyone else tried this successfully?

John Edwards

I would not call regsvr32 "registry editing".
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:23 PM
  • OK - it's beyond my comfort level though! Is it safe?

John Edwards

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 8:24 PM
  • OK - it's beyond my comfort level though! Is it safe?

John Edwards

I know what I would do, but I can't vouch for those, and I can't say they will fix your problems. Back in the old days, "regsvr32 msxml3.dll" was a popular fix for Money users.

Check out this search for references to "regsvr32 vbscript.dll"   http://www.bing.com/search?q=%22regsvr32+vbscript.dll%22

Thursday, December 10, 2015 4:45 AM
  • So tell me what YOU would do Cal. Should I first try the .dll you mentioned?

Could you explain (for the non-technical) what regsvr, vbscript and jscript actually mean?

John Edwards

Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:15 PM
  • After much dithering over whether I was happy to apply this solution, I took the plunge today - and BINGO, now I have a full-sized Portfolio again.

Many thanks Tronix.

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:07 AM
  • Thanks for your help Cal.

I tried the dll you suggested, but no joy. However, I then tried the 2 dlls proposed by Tronix - and I now have a full-sized Portfolio again!

I shouldn't have been so cautious - I guess!

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:09 AM